Shweta's Reviews > Alchemy and Meggy Swann

Alchemy and Meggy Swann by Karen Cushman

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: ya-historical-fiction

I had heard a lot about Karen Cushman's books but this was the first time I read a book by her. I was really surprised at the ease with which she made the reader connect with history of the period( Elizabethan period in this case ) as well as with Meggy, our protagonist.

What begins as a rather bleak , mundane existence for Meggy turns into a beautiful journey of self discovery . I took me a while to get used to the pace of the book set by Cushman. It's middle grade fiction hence she lets the readers soak up all the details of the surroundings especially the life in London at that time. A history lover would be delighted to read this book.

Now the surprise element for me was Meggy herself. If we try to see this from kids point of view, Meggy would be their hero. Not that she does anything special but with the way she wins over people. It made for a very heart warming read where prejudices are shed and friendships are forged.Writing and the plot were absolutely delightful .I would recommend this book for any tween or teen interested in history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alchemy and Meggy Swann.