Hazel McHaffie's Reviews > The Midwife's Confession

The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain

Jan 06, 12

Read in January, 2012

This is my first introduction to Diane Chamberlain. Se's in the mould of Jodi Picoult but less formulaic. The same multiple first person points of view. The same focus on relationships. But less phoney psychoanalysis and philosophical musings (thankfully!)
The Midwife's Confession explores the themes of mother/daughter relationships principally, but also enduring female relationships, and there's a certain kind of authenticity in Chamberlain's writing that I think probably stems from her years as a psychotherapist.
When Noelle commits suicide early in the book her two closest friends are devastated. But as they sift through her possessions they find secrets and lies that reveal a Noelle neither of them recognised. An unposted letter from Noelle blows their worlds apart, and three families bonds are tested to the limit.
The plot line is most unusual and I enjoyed the book. Plenty of suspense keeps the pages turning. And she dips into several of my pet subjects - surrogacy, midwifery, infant death. But I confess there were rather too many coincidences to be entirely plausible for me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midwife's Confession.