Mikayla_'s Reviews > City of Ashes

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Jan 06, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read in January, 2012

When I started reading this I thought: Crap, I don't know the context.
I didn't. I really didn't. I've forgotten most of the plot of CoA. It was my least favourite Shadowhunter novel, and the last time I read it was two years ago. But, what I did recognise within this scene, was the character development of Isabelle and the relationship between Isabelle and Jace. The scene was cute, for lack of a better word, and I wish Clare had left it in. It really casts a lovely light on Isabelle, and highlights the twos protectiveness of each other. I liked it.

Merged review:

The sounds I made while reading this. I was constantly either laughing, gasping or giving little awwws. These two are so cute. A perfect little story that perfectly compliments one of my favourite book couples. In case you haven't realised it yet, I loved this. It was stunningly written, the perfect balance of beautiful description and witty dialogue that I have come to assosiate with Clare. The jokes were hilarious and the little ties to Infernal Devices gave me a really satisfying sense of continuity, along with a feeling like I was sharing a little inside joke with Clare- we both knew something Alec didn't. I highly recommend reading this short.
And I'm sure tha the little fan girl inside of me is going to spend the rest of the day sighing and whispering to herself: he called him Alexander.

Merged review:

I really enjoyed this. It was interesting to read this scene, a scene I loved, a scene I may well have read a hundred times over, from someone else's POV. Again, beautiful description, Clare's usual. But was this version better than the original?
My answer is.. No.
No for two reasons. The first being the repetition in Jace's version. Now, I usually adore Clare's writing style but... Ugh, Jace is bitter, and angry, and full of angst. We get it. We aren't stupid. Stop telling us he is. Clare repeated way too much here.
And my second reason... It works better from Clary's point of view. Simple as that. It flowed better, some character development was achieved... And frankly? I just prefer to read from Clary's point of view. I prefer to not know what Jace is thinking, so that he retains some of that mysteriousness and bad boy mystique that I love.
And I generally just like to read from a girls POV.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ashes.

Quotes Mikayla_ Liked

Cassandra Clare
“I don't want to be a man," said Jace. "I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead."
"Well," said Luke, "you're doing a fantastic job.”

Cassandra Clare
“Is there some particular reason that you're here?" ...
"Not this again."
"Not what again?" said Clary.
"Every time I annoy him, he retreats into his No Mundanes Allowed tree house." Simon pointed at Jace.”

Cassandra Clare
“We came to see Jace. Is he alright?"
"I don't know," Magnus said. "Does he normally just lie on the floor like that without moving?”

Cassandra Clare
“Mom. I have something to tell you. I’m undead. Now, I know you may have some preconceived notions about the undead. I know you may not be comfortable with the idea of me being undead. But I’m here to tell you that undead are just like you and me … well, okay. Possibly more like me than you.”

Cassandra Clare
“Well, I’m not kissing the mundane," said Jace. "I’d rather stay down here and rot."
"Forever?" said Simon. "Forever’s an awfully long time."
Jace raised his eyebrows. "I knew it," he said. "You want to kiss me, don’t you?”

Cassandra Clare
“You could have fooled me. Everytime I called you, Luke said you were sick. I figured you were avoiding me. Again."
"I wasn't. I did want to talk to you. I've been thinking about you all the time."
"I've been thinking about you, too."
"I really was sick. I swear. I almost died back there on the ship, you know."
"I know. Everytime you almost die, I almost die myself.”

Cassandra Clare
“Watching Jace hug Isabelle, she tried to school her features into a happy and loving expression.
"Are you all right?" Simon asked, with some concern. "Your eyes are crossing.”

Cassandra Clare
“We need to talk. All of us About what we're going to do now."
"I was going to watch Project Runway.”
Cassandra Clare, City of Ashes

Mikayla_ Your comments intrigue me :0 Can I borrow it?

Mikayla_ Bebe are you still logged onto my account? Lol you need to log out and back in as yourself. It looks like I've asked myself to lend me a book.