Ambre's Reviews > Blue Bells of Scotland

Blue Bells of Scotland by Laura Vosika

F_50x66
Jan 17, 12

Read from January 06 to 07, 2012

An obvious "tribute" to the other popular time travel authors, with a few minor twists.

I give it 3 for being fun to read. I subtracted 1 for major historical inaccuracy (clan tartans in 1300s? Really, you have to research EVERYTHING) and failure to discuss her historical research or variance from known fact. So as a pure fiction it gets a 3 (I thought the ending was confused and nonsensical) but as a historical fiction it gets a 2 for flubbing that major point, and underemphasizing the differences between the English language then and now (speaking English in the 14th century would not make one even remotely understandable today, even grammar was different in middle English).

I am not sure why so many people misuse tartans in these books. Maybe they just assume it is an ancient practice, or maybe they think the book won't be "Scottish" without it and since there is no proof it WASN'T used then, they will let it slide. But then, it isn't history, is it? It's just guessing. Anyway, anyone seeking to write a Scottish historical novel had best do some research on tartans first!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Bells of Scotland.

01/06/2012 page 30
8.0% "Another Scottish time travel book. It is cute so far, though!"