Gertie's Reviews > Wool

Wool by Hugh Howey

Dec 31, 12

bookshelves: post-apocalyptic_fiction
Read in January, 2012

A glimpse into the world of WOOL

wool 2

Great little story that I suspect will stick with me for a while. It was hard while reading it not to get too caught up in a guessing game about how things would unfold. The writing style is nicely descriptive and the story itself is engaging and memorable. Highly recommended.
Memorability Factor: 9/10

::::::::::::::::UPDATE:::::::::::::::::::::::

This turned out to be one of my favorite reads of 2012. The are currently running an art contest on Facebook for art made by fans, inspired by WOOL. No I am not going to be spammy and seek votes, but I thought it would be fun to include the pictures here.

If you haven't read this yet, I suggest you get on it already.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wool.

message 1: by Hugh (new) - added it

Hugh Howey A Memorability Factor. I love it!

Thanks for reading. Glad you enjoyed it. Just so you know: the series only gets better going forward. You're in for a treat!

Gertie Great! I didn't realize until I posted the review and looked for more work by you that there are more in the series, so that is good news indeed. I also added a couple of books to my TBR list. (Inspiring the daily dose of Goodreads love/hate, because of the ever growing TBR list!) :-)

message 3: by Hugh (new) - added it

Hugh Howey Goodreads is like Miracle-Grow for the old TBR list!

I hope you enjoy the rest of the WOOL series. I'm told they get better and better.

Gertie Haha, yeah no kidding... too bad we can't put Goodreads in a cool dim place for a week to stunt its growth while we catch up. :-P

message 5: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia Did you read the stories that follow? I'm asking cuz i can buy all of them for the nook for $5.99. worth it?

Gertie Oh yeah, just dive right in and buy the whole bundle. Just about anyone who has read these would say the same thing, it's worth it. :-)

Karen Absolutely worth it, Sonia! I just finished them all a couple weeks ago. I'm hooked!

Karen Nice, Gertie! I like the vision!

Gertie Thanks Karen. :-) By the way, I sent you your WOOL t-shirt today! Should get there by Saturday I think.

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Yes, definitely one of my favorite reads of the year, too. Now I wish I'd dived into this series instead of the Chaos Walking series after reading the prequel novella ... Oh well.

Karen Gertie wrote: "Thanks Karen. :-) By the way, I sent you your WOOL t-shirt today! Should get there by Saturday I think."

Yaaay! :-D

Karen Oh, Hugh loves this fan art! (per facebook)

Gertie That made me sooo happy! After I posted it I kind of got self-conscious and was going to remove it from his wall and just leave it in the contest. But after seeing some comments I calmed down and left it. :-P I get that way sometimes (an artistic temperament?).I was especially happy Hugh liked it though.

message 14: by Hugh (new) - added it

Hugh Howey Gertie: That was you?! The art is brilliant.

Karen Ha ha.. I'll say he liked it! So did everyone else!

Gertie Thanks!! Haha yup that's me. Now you can see where my nickname comes from. :-)

Mikhail Lerma My wife and I just recently read the first book and loved it! I'm anxious to finally read the whole series. And Gertie, your artwork compliments the story very well. And my wife agrees, she's a painter herself.

Gertie Thanks Mikhail! If you liked book 1 you'll definitely enjoy the rest. I'm always recommending fans of Wool #1 just dive in and buy the omnibus rather than get all the sections separately - then again with the separate ones you do get more covers to look at. :-)

Mikhail Lerma You're welcome! We'll definitely be getting the bundle soon. I went ahead and gave your artwork a vote. Good luck!