David Monroe's Reviews > The Somnambulist

The Somnambulist by Jonathan  Barnes

Jul 31, 08

bookshelves: steampunk, historical-fiction, mystery, fantasy
Recommended to David by: Saw it at Barnes & Noble as a recomended read
Recommended for: Victorian Mystery fans, Steampunk fans, mystery fans, Gaimon fans
Read in July, 2008

Compared to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Neverwhere, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and The Prestige, some of my favorites in the Victorian Fantasy / Steampunk / Mystery genres.

It was probably a mistake going into it with high expectations, although it was an excellent first book, I felt let down and a bit disappointed after I turned the last page.

The writing is some times awkward and stilted, and the plot's as dense as the Victorian London Fog. It seems at times that he's writing scenes with no other purpose but to say to some LA or London Producer, "Look how good this will look as a movie." That gets distracting and took me out of the book a few times. It's a good first novel and an interesting, page-turning read.

I would be interested to read more in the series and hope he answers some questions, especially about Moon's apparently disastrous previous case and the rich mine that is The Somnambulist.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Somnambulist.