Rory's Reviews > The Information

The Information by Martin Amis

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: recent-favourites
Read in January, 2010

Words layered and arranged and augmented and spliced, that spew into a thick, lumpy stew of a story, a bitter tale of revenge. At least I think there is a story hidden among the muck and mangle of words, words structured into glorious, unyielding and sometimes highly irritating sentences. Personally, I love this book. Days of sitting on the toilet (the perfect sanctuary for a solitary read) scratching my scalp over each perplexing and nourishing word clump were days thoroughly well spent. Obviously these words, the words Amis chose, are not the type of words everyone would want to sit for hours on a toilet and ingest. My mother, who inherited my copy of The Information, became so afraid even just to look at the cover of this book after reading the first few pages, that she ended up attempting to flush it down that very same toilet, but to no avail, as the hardback edition is a hefty mass. Oh yeah, if you are the type of individual who bears similar traits to those of the book's protagonist; misery and a proclivity towards failure being the main two; don't read it, for Amis paints possibly the best portrait of human insecurity and self-doubt ever achieved through the medium of words that I have ever had the pleasure to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Information.