Velma's Reviews > Oryx and Crake

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Apr 18, 12

bookshelves: fiction, apocalyptic-dystopian-spec-fic, 2012-reads, man-booker-nom
Read on April 16, 2012

Found this story of pre- and post-apocalyptic intrigue exceptional, in fact better even than The Handmaid's Tale, although I'm not sure if it will draw me into the 2 subsequent volumes.

What did I like about Oryx and Crake? Atwood's sublime prose, of course, is a standout. The characters are a compelling lot of idealistic miscreants, if you can hold that paradox in your mind. And it's just dark enough to appeal to my inner cynic; we're all bound for hell in the proverbial hand-basket at the hands of the genetic engineers that have infiltrated every branch of our biological science, if you are astute enough to see the signs.

This was a one-sitting read for me, a real page-turner that held my attention enough to keep me from my responsibilities; always a sign of a winner for me. My only complaint? Unlike most of Atwood's work, the female characters were somewhat marginalized, leaving this reader with what would have been, had the writer been male, a suspicion of misogyny. That is certainly not one of Atwood's character flaws, however, leaving me at a loss to explain her poor treatment of the 'fairer' gender.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the hell out of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oryx and Crake.