Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > A Tryst with Trouble

A Tryst with Trouble by Alyssa Everett

This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: *(See note at the end of the review)
Publisher: Dorchester Publishing
Imprint: DP
Author’s Website: http://alyssaeverett.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: No
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Warm-Steamy

To be perfectly honest, I was a little hesitant to read this book when I first read the synopsis. ”Dogged for years by painful gossip about his father’s homosexuality, the Marquess of Beningbrough—Ben, to his friends—has protected himself by becoming the ultimate man’s man.” — this made Ben sound as though he were the ultimate rake and seducer of women, and frankly I was afraid that there would be a lot of “on-screen” trolloping around on his part.

However, despite Ben’s reputation, and his own assertation that he’s spent plenty of time being intimate with tons of gorgeous women, there’s no “in your face” evidence of his promiscuity. While I think some readers may be disappointed about that fact, especially if they were expecting this to be more of a “spinster tames the notorious rake” type story, I personally was quite happy with the situation. I love a “reformed rake” as much as the next girl, but one thing I tend to shy away from is when the hero makes free with another woman after meeting the heroine. In Ben’s case, there is no other woman from the moment that he lays eyes on Barbara, which for me is supremely romantic.

While this novel wasn’t perfectly tame in regards to sexual content, I would say that it wasn’t quite as steamy as I’d anticipated going in. There is one scene in particular that pushed it into the “steamy” category as far as this blog’s RATING SYSTEM goes, but there is no actual on-screen lovemaking — merely quite a bit of fairly explicit foreplay. However, I enjoyed the banter between Ben and Barbara, and combined the murder mystery that took front seat, I did feel that the sensuality level was exactly where this story needed it to be.

In short? I loved this book. There were times when I was a bit frustrated by the constant misinterpretation of things by both Ben and Barbara, but honestly, the lovely angst on both their parts combined with the surprisingly good mystery far overshadowed those fleeting moments.

A very solid 4.5/5 Stars.

*This book originally had a release date set in March, but was then moved back to April 1st. The publisher, Dorchester Publishing, has been having financial problems and is currently “going through a reorganization and reassessment” of its product lines. YOU CAN FIND THE LATEST INFORMATION ON THEIR SITUATION HERE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tryst with Trouble.