Rebecca's Reviews > Damned

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk

Jan 05, 2012

it was ok
Read in January, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I really enjoy Chuck Palahniuk, even when I think he's trying way too hard to be deliberately disgusting or just piss people off, but this book definitely missed the mark as far as I'm concerned.
It is ridiculously obvious that the author is not, never has been, nor ever will be a thirteen year old girl. The narrative is awkward, but not realistically 13 year old awkward. The author is pulling this little trick where he says something, goes on for a paragraph or two, and then picks up the previous reference. It was kind of amusing at first, but became very tiresome.
I thought the premise sounded interesting, but I really had to drag my way through this book. The overly explicit descriptions of Hell were nothing less than what I would have expected from him. Every bit of fecal matter - or any other bodily secretion - was minutely detailed, down to the scent of the sewage, the texture of the toenail clippings, and the sound of the burbling Abortion Swamp. But even that was no match for the transparent plot.
You can't make a book be the literary version of The Breakfast Club, simply by saying it is like, referencing in the text, and imitating the characters from, The Breakfast Club.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damned.