Patty's Reviews > Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

1020899
I was not sure that I would ever read this book without my book group. I resist being part of the crowd when it comes to books and Sarah's Key has been so popular and I have read so many books about World War II and the Holocaust, that I just wasn't sure I would bother with de Rosnay's novel.

I am glad that my book group decided to read this - once I started I couldn't put it down. There are several things about Sarah's Key that sets it apart from other books set in the same era. First of all, this story is set in France. Many of the books about the Holocaust are set in Germany or eastern Europe.

Secondly, the style that de Rosnay uses creates some tension in the narrative. The contrast between the tale from 1942 and the one set in 2002 is a good device that pulls the reader into the story.

Lastly, I found the "secrets" part of the plot very intriguing. Every time I thought I had figured out the last secret there was one more.

I don't quite know what makes us read about subjects that make us uncomfortable or that we know will have some horror attached to them. I know people who do not read about the Holocaust - mostly because the subject hits too close to home. On the other hand there is the command: Never Forget which I think forces me (and others) to continue to read about war and violence and other nasty things.

I go back and forth and so some books I will read and others I will shy away from. Sarah's Key has some scenes that I won't easily forget, but in my mind it is important to remember all the times humans have abused other humans and the world. I just have to balance my reading so I am not totally overwhelmed by evil. I do believe in the inherent good of people.

All in all, I found this to be a very satisfying book. I would recommend to to folks who like historical fiction; to young adults who might find the story appealing and to those readers who like a bit of suspense in their fiction.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.