Lynne's Reviews > Tin Soldier

Tin Soldier by Monica Leonelle

I won TIN SOLDIERS (Seven Halos #2) several months ago as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. The winners have been contacted by the author and the book is being released sometime this month (May2012) and should be delivered to the winners of that particular giveaway soon.

In anticipation, I purchased a copy of the first book (SILVER SMOKE) from Amazon in February. It's still on the shelf & ready to read it as soon as I receive this one. looking forward to reading this series.

May 29, 2012: I just received an 'update' email from the author and it looks like it'll be at least another couple months (or more?) before this book is even published. ?!?
from the email:
"My efforts are focused on getting the first draft of Tin Soldier completed by the end of June, and the book printed by August (it has to go through editing and such before printing)."

my thoughts: While I do appreciate the authors update email, I just can't help but think - wow. just wow. how was a 1000-book giveaway even allowed on a book 6+ months away from print?

proper review later (hopefully) :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tin Soldier.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amanda Kay that is just crazy...if it wasn't done then why have a giveaway for it? :( sadness i was hoping to read this on vacation

Julia I'm so glad you posted this - I was just wondering why I still hadn't received my copy. Thanks for the update!

message 3: by Stacy (new) - added it

Stacy I STILL haven't received my copy, almost a year later.

Deanna Me either Stacy.

message 5: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne My two-cents:
-I seriously doubt the author will ever send out this book to the winners here.
-From what I understand, because of this giveaway debacle, she's no longer allowed to do giveaways on Goodreads.
-My guess is that it's also the reason she removed her name as the author of this book.
-Likely if she does finish/publish Tin Soldier, it'll be under a different title and/or author name (or spelling) so it is dissociated from this book entry.

As disappointed and frustrated as I am over this giveaway outcome, I actually *do* feel sorry for the author.
She reeeeally messed this one up. Tin Soldier, or any other book by this pen name, will be permanently smudged on Goodreads by the rating and reviews of this book and I can't believe she would do this to herself intentionally.

Boils down to it was a 'free' book. I enter tons of Goodreads giveaways that I don't win, so I'm not going to stay upset that I didn't get a free book out of this giveaway.
However, it DOES upset me if this results in ANY of the winners here to somehow be ineligible to win other Goodreads giveaways - I don't know if Goodreads has a way to prevent this from happening but banning the author from future giveaways at least shows they're aware of the situation. hopefully.

Amanda Kay Have you won any books since this one?

Deanna I haven't Amanda.

message 8: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne yes, I have won books since this giveaway. Tin Soldier is the only Goodreads first reads giveaway book I technically won but never actually received.

maybe you could write Goodreads and ask them if you not winning since this one has anything to do with this giveaway or if there's any other reason.

Amanda Kay a lot of people on here haven't won either. i hope it doesn't have anything to do with not getting this book :(

message 10: by Stacy (new) - added it

Stacy I, too, have not won a single book since I 'won' this book and never received it. I emailed the author but have yet to receive a reply. I'm wondering if there is a connection.

Deanna I'm suspecting more and more that it is indeed the problem why we're not winning anything after this books 'win' that none of us have received or ever will it seems. I'm not sure what anyone of us can do about it though.

message 12: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne did you guys mark this book as 'not received'? And/or have you posted a 'non-review' of some sort on it?

I understand not reviewing a book you've won is frowned upon and could keep you from winning others, but not receiving a first reads book AT ALL really shouldn't count against you.
If you haven't already, I would definitely contact Goodreads about it and see if there is anything they can do to keep this from being a negative against your account, if that's the case.

I think it's a real tragedy if this giveaway fiasco is being held against the 'winners' somehow :(

message 13: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne I just went looking and found this on http://monicaleonelle.com/contact/faq/

"What happened to Tin Soldier? What happened to the Seven Halos series?

This series has been wrapped into the Waters Dark and Deep series. If you read Silver Smoke and would like to continue with the series, you can start with the Through Middle Darkness Borne cycle to pick up the story right where you left off. The events that would have taken place in the unpublished Tin Soldier are now told in the TMDB cycle.
Why haven’t you had many releases in 2011-2012?

I didn’t fully own the copyright to my own work during this period. In 2013, I worked out the legalities surrounded my copyright and became the sole owner of my intellectual property, which meant that I could start publishing at a faster rate."

Still doesn't make *this* giveaway situation any better, but thought it was interesting.

Amanda Kay very interesting...and I wrote to Goodreads yesterday and explained to them that I haven't won a single book since this so called "win" and i wanted to know why.

i also asked if it was true that the author of Tin Soldier was banned from Goodreads.

I will let you all know what i get back from Goodreads on this whole mess.

Amanda Kay you go on to her website and there are links where you can contact her....

message 16: by Amanda (last edited Jan 24, 2013 08:18PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Amanda Kay I wrote to Goodreads about this whole thing and this is what they wrote back.....
**************************************

Goodreads Support
JAN 24, 2013 | 11:28AM PST
Hello Amanda,

Thanks for asking! The author of Tin Soldier is not allowed to run another giveaway on the site unless she can deliver all 1,000 physical copies of the book to the winner.

Our algorithm does make it harder for those who don’t review books they win to win again. Given the situation, I would still add this book to your “first reads” shelf and write in a small text review. You don’t have to rate the book, but writing some thoughts about the book (interest or excitement level, your expectations about the book, etc) will help restore your eligibility. I am so sorry that the author wasn’t able to get you the book hopefully she will be able to fulfill her obligation soon.

Margo

*****
I am sick of waiting so i just finally gave in and put that i have received it because lets face it...we are never getting this book :(

Amanda Kay Here ya go ladies and gentlemen...
I messaged the author and this is what she sent me....thought I would share it with you all
**************************

Hi,

Thanks for emailing me about this, because there are a lot of things that need to be cleared up!

1. Unfortunately, Goodreads announced winners to that contest without even alerting me, and without even ensuring that the book was complete. The plans for the series that Tin Soldier was a part of is now wrapped into a new series called Waters Dark and Deep.

2. When the first book in that series is complete (very shortly), I *am* going to send it out to the 1000 people as an ARC. I have not announced it because the book isn't complete.

3. I have no idea who started this rumor that Goodreads is not awarding new books to winners of this book due to this book not getting sent out. First of all, that makes no sense - why would Goodreads penalize you? How would Goodreads even know the book hasn't been sent? Please spread the word, because this is completely illogical and the people who start these rumors are trying to stir additional trouble and/or find someone to blame for the the fact that they are not always winners in Goodreads contests. If you are really worried, you can simply rate the book in your dashboard and move on. The Goodreads system has no idea whether a book was mailed to you and read by you.

I hope that helps. Again, thanks for the email.

Best,
Monica

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 2:39 AM, Wufoo wrote:

What are you struggling with the most right now?

why did you fail to deliver the 1,000 copies of TinSoldier to your fans on Goodreads.com? Because of that, now 1,000 people are unable to win books on that sight, myself included.

Monica Leonelle

message 18: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne I'll have to go through my old emails, these reviews, etc. but I'm wanting to say the author said she listed the contest months (or a year?) PRIOR to the contest end date believing she would have a finished product to send out, and then major stuff happened in her life so she didn't finish the book and then she forgot she had set up the contest and didn't realize until she started being contacted about these 1000 books.

It's obvious from her letter that she doesn't know how things are done on the winners' side of the contest.
~Beyond the usual giveaway terms & conditions ("People who review the books are also more likely to win more advance copies in the future.), Goodreads reply to you the other day told us EXACTLY how their algorithms are set up to prevent people who DON'T review contest books from being eligible to win future contests. (tho honestly, I don't understand why Goodreads would penalize for ONE unreviewed win ... but hey, (Amanda) you're proof that it *can* happen.)

~She also doesn't realize that we have that 'I have / have not received this book' widget to send a redflag to Goodreads when something like this happens.

so yes, by their admission, Goodreads can/does penalize for not reviewing books their system says you won.
And if you don't receive a book you can't review a book - therefore, ineligible - unless/until you write a review of some sort.
~after enough people click the 'I did NOT receive this book' widget, THEY DO KNOW

the author is in the wrong. on many levels. She's broken a thousand promises and she doesn't want to admit it and now she's trying to divert the truth by pointing her finger and blaming someone/something/ANYTHING else for her shortcomings and mistake/s.

what a pity.

Mersadies I still haven't relieved my copy either

message 20: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne *I just received this email from the author*

Hello!
This is an email to all the winners of Tin Soldier. I have some good news. I'm ready to ship the prize you won back last February.

I am really sorry it took so long. It took awhile for reasons I don't think you care about, so I won't go into them. I will just say I'm sorry. I owe you that.

I am sending you two books: A book called Hallowed, which is the first in the Waters Dark and Deep series, and a book called Socialpunk, which is the first in the Socialpunk trilogy.

So what happened to Tin Soldier? The entire Seven Halos series that I had planned is now going to be the Waters Dark and Deep series. It's been re-written with the same characters and scenario, mainly because Silver Smoke was my first novel ever and it wasn't particularly a good novel. As I tried to produce the second novel, things weren't really clicking and a big part of that was foundation. The first book needed to be redone. So that's what happened.

The Seven Halos series is now the Waters Dark and Deep series, and the first book is Hallowed. That's what you'll be receiving. And while it is not Tin Soldier, it is a much better story than what I would have been able to give you with Tin Soldier.

I'm shipping Socialpunk as a bonus, because you had to wait so long for the giveaway.

Both of these books are on their way to the printers, so they will be shipped out by the end of the month.

If you need to update your mailing address, you can fill out the form here:

I will use the most recent address you've provided. If you have not moved in the last year, you don't need to fill out the form again.

Thank you!

Monica

Amanda Kay I just got the same email......
all i have to say is....ITS ABOUT FREAKING TIME!!!!