Licha's Reviews > Pray for Silence

Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo

Jan 05, 12

Read on January 05, 2012

This is the problem I have with series. The repetition of what happens in the first or previous book, the replay of each character's personality. It becomes annoying after a while. Why does all the information have to be repeated all over again? If someone wants to start with the second, third, etc book, then that's the risk that person runs of not having a full understanding of the storyline. However, for those of us who choose to start series from the beginning, I don't want to have to have it explained to me all over again in the second book what happened in the first. This made it very hard for me to focus on this story line and enjoy it all on its own. Instead, I found myself picking it apart. My mind began to drift and think that if I actually met the main character in real life, I probably wouldn't particularly like her too much. This in turn made me start feeling like the author was trying to make the reader admire what a strong woman Kate Burkholder was, how vehemently she felt for the victims, how human she was... It started becoming more of a chore to finish reading this book. The plot seemed too way-out for me to actually buy into. Snuff films/Amish girls. Come on. The love story between Kate and Tomasetti never really plays out and never really explains where it has gone between book one and two or where it's going to go. I don't know if that's to play it out into the next book, but it never really makes me believe what bond these two have besides the fact that both have gone through some horrific pasts. I don't think I will be reading the third book in the series.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pray for Silence.

Diane I agree with you.

message 2: by Licha (last edited Aug 29, 2012 05:36PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Licha Thanks for the comment Diane. Is this her only book you've read or did you read the whole series?

Diane I did read the first 3 and am waiting to read the 4th one. I placed a request for it from the library and am waiting for it. I did enjoy them all even though the story lines and the constant repeating from previous books was a bit annoying. I might also read another one of her books that is not from the series.

Licha I had high hopes for the series after the first book, but once I started nit-picking the second book fell apart for me. The nit-picking, in large part, was due to the constant repetition of elements of the first book. It eventually became for me a bit of "how can I top the shock factor" involving an Amish plot factor.

Diane Licha, I just finished the 4th book called Gone Missing and it was awesome. Wow, it was really good, please read it and let me know what you think. The ending was VERY different and shocking. I bet there will be another book out soon. I think you will like it.

Licha Thank you Diane. I will add it to my to-read list and let you know how I like it. I didn't read the third book, but being that I griped about the repetitious recap in the second book, I'm sure I'll be able to follow along. How did you like the third book?

Diane Yes, Breaking Silence was good. They all seem to be a lot alike as we both know! Regardless of the repetition, which did get old, I did enjoy the series. Please read the 4th one Gone Missing even if you don't read Breaking Silence. To me it was the best of all of them.

Licha Ok. I will put it on order. I just wanted to make sure that I can skip #3 without missing something. I've added a couple of books to my to-read-list based on some of your reviews. Thanks for accepting my friend request.

Diane You can definitely skip #3. The Gone Missing book makes a mention of the #3, but it won't matter. I saw that you added some of my books, I will look at them again and let you know which ones are best!

Licha Sorry I didn't respond back yesterday. My computer was extremely slow. I should be getting Gone Missing soon. I have a couple of books already waiting but I can probably squeeze this one in somewhere in there. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Diane Yay, it is fun to chat with someone about books both people have read!

Kayris I think an author has to put in a certain amount of backstory if they want to keep readers. Every single series I have enjoyed does so. Especially if the cover of the book doesn't indicate that it is part of a series. I prefer to read series in order, but appreciate stand alone books. I picked up the fourth book in this series off the new books display at the library because the description sounded good. I had no idea there were other books before it. I've since gone back and read the first two and have the third on deck. If Castillo had left out a lot of Kate's background in book 4, I would never have gone back to her earlier publications.

Licha Kayris wrote: "I think an author has to put in a certain amount of backstory if they want to keep readers. Every single series I have enjoyed does so. Especially if the cover of the book doesn't indicate that i..."

I agree that some of the background has to be explained, but I don't know if it can't be done in a way that is not so blatant to continuing readers. As an example, do I have to have the author repeat that Pickles is the adorable curmudgeon of the story? Isn't there another way to incorporate this fact as the story progresses without being so in you face? Why not add a guidleine explaining the charatcers and the background before the start of a new story? I'd probably appreciate the story a lot more if it were explained this way, rather than having to have the author remind me about each character's personality or what happened in prior books everytime a new book in the series comes out. But I completely understand what you are saying also. It just becomes annoying after a while to have to repeat it.

Lene69 I totally agree with you, it also annoys me with the repetitions every time I read a series, you are right, most people read series from book no. one.