Catherine's Reviews > Lawe's Justice

Lawe's Justice by Lora Leigh

This series is a guilty pleasure of mine. I accept things from this author that I would harshly ridicule from another. The sex is frequent and over the top, and the characters are a bit overdramatic. The characters and they way they talk aren’t realistic, and the author can be repetitive. I know this, and I just don’t care. I don’t like this author’s other series, but this one is like crack to me. But, I’ve found that I swing back and forth between enjoying these books and not. I continue to pick them up because when they work, they really work, but I’d be lying if I said I haven’t disliked a fair share of them. Unfortunately, this book is falls into the dislike category.

One of my main complaints about this book is that NOTHING HAPPENS. This is a classic example of a bridge book. The plot doesn’t go anywhere. All it did was setup things for future books. I can understand why the author would need to have a book like this, but that doesn’t change the fact that it was pretty boring. A big deal was made out of Diane’s determination to find a cure for her niece, yet it never goes anywhere. The same goes for the storyline that was introduced with Gideon. I can see that those things will go somewhere in the future, but that doesn’t help my enjoyment in the here and now. The only thing that was actually resolved was getting Diane and Lawe together.

Speaking of Diane and Lawe…I got tired of them. Lawe and Diane spent the whole book arguing and struggling to mesh their personalities enough to work as mates. Due to his past, Lawe is extremely overprotective and wants wrap Diane up and keep her out of the line of fire. Diane can’t accept this because she loves her job and won’t change her personality just to be his mate. The conflict between them was valid, but it went on way too long. I was on Diane’s side, and was pretty ticked off about how many people tried to guilt her into doing things Lawe’s way, but even I got tired of her constant refrain by the end. It stopped feeling worthwhile and just felt whiny. I felt bad for Lawe’s past, but his behavior made it hard for me to like him. At the end he finally came to respect her and her capabilities, but it was too little too late for me.

I liked that the author kept Diane and Law from having sex right away. It gave them more of a chance to talk and try to come to terms with each other before the mating heat clouded their minds. I found their constant back and forth frustrating and a bit boring, but I still appreciate that the sex didn’t push it out of the way. That’s been a complaint of mine in the past with this series. I also liked getting to see what has developed with Amber, Rachel’s daughter. I’m very interested in seeing why David, Callan’s son, growls and can’t stand to be in the same room with her.

I was surprised by how much I ended up disliking Rachel. I can’t say that she’s ever been a favorite of mine, but I almost grew to hate her. Her whiny, emo behavior at the expense of her daughter’s feelings left me extremely unimpressed. I was glad Diane talked some sense into her, but I would have liked it even more if it would have been accompanied by a slap upside the head. I also can’t believe the way Rachel turned on Diane again and again just because she thought she was right. Especially after Diane calls her on it once! They have a make up scene and then she turns right around and does something crappy again. Man, she sucks.

Although the plot didn’t go anywhere, I did like being introduced to Gideon. He was very interesting and kept my attention much better than the main storyline did. I’m eager to see more development with him. Given the way everything was left hanging at the end, I assume we’ll see more of him in the next book. I was also pleased to see a bit of Dog. When are we finally going to get his book? :) We saw quite a bit of Rule here, but he wasn’t as likable as he’s been in the past. I’ve never had a problem with him before, but I was extremely turned off by his desire to swap mates with Lawe. I thought at first he might be trying to pressure Lawe into claiming Diane, but I came to realize he was dead serious. Very crappy of him. I’m pretty sure I remember who Rule’s mate is, but I could be wrong. Whoever it is, I hope she finds out that he wanted to swap her.

*Review originally posted on Fiction Vixen*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lawe's Justice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lynsey A Nice review, Catherine! What a let down. I'll probably still read it since I like the series and am impatiently waiting for Cassie's book, but I won't rush to read this one.

(view spoiler)

Catherine Thanks! No, his is still in the works. I read them all too, despite what people may say about each individual one. The good ones still make it worth it for me.

Lynsey A You're welcome! Well, let's hope once his book does come around he regrets it all! Yeah, some are good, some not so good, but I still read them. I don't actually buy these but borrow from my sister or the library.

Catherine That's a nice way to keep from having buyer's remorse.

Lynsey A Definitely

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim I love the series, but it's sometimes frustrating for me. For example, if she's gonna stick to her guns and say she wants him to treat her better then why in God's name is she having sex with him the minute she sees him. I expected more backbone from diane, like how the first females stuck to their decisions (kinda)

Catherine I'm the same. I still enjoy the series, but it frustrates the crap out of me.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim lol I hear ya!

Ashley I could not agree more. And the whole trading mates thing. I want her to find out and slap him upside the head. Actually I am shocked none of the women have done major bodily harm to any of the men thus far. There are a couple of them that I would have probably shot for being stupid...

Catherine Ashley wrote: "I could not agree more. And the whole trading mates thing. I want her to find out and slap him upside the head. Actually I am shocked none of the women have done major bodily harm to any of the men..."

You and me both. The things they do sometimes make me grind my teeth.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim What is it about authors who have a solid series and writing half heartedly.

Catherine Kim wrote: "What is it about authors who have a solid series and writing half heartedly."

Maybe they get in a rut and start to phone it in? I don't know. It's disappointing when it happens though.

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim yeah, very-Hoping the next one is better. Plus I want cassie's story to be something I will love.

Catherine Me too. I've been waiting for her story for a while now. I'm hoping I enjoy it as much as I did Mercury's War.

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim yeah I loved that book.

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim I think I'm gonna reread some of the books to refresh my memory.

Catherine Good luck with it. Hopefully you enjoy them as much the second time around.

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim Hopefully because now that I am a better writer, I see alot of errors in other stories.