Christina Marie Rau's Reviews > Dry

Dry by Augusten Burroughs

Jan 05, 12

Augusten Burrough's Dry is a memoir, I think. The blurb on the back explains that it's about his struggle with alcoholism. The genre label on the back cover indicates memoir. However, it was in my library's fiction section. Color me confused.

Dry is addicting. How ironic, considering it's about kicking addiction. The people (are they characters? are they amalgams of several people? see what happens when memoirs are in the fiction section?) are vivid and the story is enticing. The life of a rich ad exec crumbling under the allure of liquor. His crackhead lover with a trust fund. His London rehab buddy who plays some mean pong. The co-worker who desperately needs a vacation or some anger management. AA. Rehab. The dying friend with whom he constantly bickers. The fear of relapse. With every turn of the page, I was rooting for him, hoping he did not relapse. With every turn, I turned my head away if I thought he would relapse, not wanting to know if he did. He's not pathetic. He's real. Reality is not pretty sometimes, but even these ugly times are beautiful.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dry.