Lisa's Reviews > Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter by Jennifer Reese

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: cookbooks
Read from January 05 to 15, 2012

Do you know why PAM is called PAM? Neither did I, but thanks to this truly entertaining book, now I do. I learned a lot, while being thoroughly entertained-- no easy feat for me. Will I make everything she advises to make? No. But I marked several things to try, and I feel a lot better about the state of America knowing that someone (Jennifer Reese at least) is making her own lamb pastrami and Cheese-Its. I never found her preachy about what other people should make, the information is presented more in a memoir fashion about what did and did not work for her, from cost, taste and feasibility standpoints.

Her passages about animal husbandry are belly-laugh inducing, and I love her easy-to-grasp format:
-Make it or buy it?
-Hassle: [these often gave me a chuckle-- how many ways can one say "Pain in the ass?"]
-Cost Comparison: [eye opening; none more-so than vanilla extract, and the cost it imparts on baked goods. Make your own! And I will.]

A 4.5 star read through and through, one that I recommend for any foodie, but not one that I'd keep on my own reference shelf. Maybe you will. I took a half star off for how many times she trotted out her dead mother, which I found tiresome.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make the Bread, Buy the Butter.

01/10/2012 page 46
18.0% "Enjoying this so far. Her writing is witty and entertaining. Just finished reading about her backyard chickens (eggs) and eggnog and had more than a few guffaws."
01/12/2012 page 50
20.0% "I now want to make yogurt." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephanie Ooh, can't wait to hear what you think...I placed a hold on it at the library and have been waiting and waiting...

message 2: by Jeanette (new) - added it

Jeanette Thanks for the review, Lisa. I think I'm #42 at the library, so it'll be awhile, but it's nice to know it will be worth the wait.