Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥'s Reviews > Reached

Reached by Ally Condie

Jan 29, 13

bookshelves: dystopian, romance, young-adult, sci-fi, provincial-library, memorable-men, reviewed
Recommended for: Fans of the series only
Read from January 25 to 29, 2013

I would rate this more like a 3.5/5. It wasnt as good as #1, but better than #2. A lot more happened in this than the first two. The rebellion really picks up and there is also a plague that is sweeping through the Society. Cassia, Ky, and Xander all play their part in trying to cure the plague, but they are separated for the first half of the book and there isnt room for much romance. The book alternates between the 3 POVs and we see how what they are each doing is contributing to the Rising and the part they play in the cure, and in each other's lives.

I found it very interesting the way that this book approached love. I love the way Cassia and Ky have an absolute, unwavering love for each other, and they are each other's Rising. They keep each other afloat in the ocean of their broken world. But there are also other ppl in their lives who they love and they are willing to be there for and to help keep afloat. Cassia is also there for Xander, and Ky is also there for Indie, and Xander is also there for Lei. Although they each love two people, they acknowledge that they dont necessary keep each other afloat, that sometimes it is one way. Only Cassia and Ky keep each other afloat, as well as... well, you'll see. It was a very different angle, and definitely made the love-triangle more interesting, and also turned it into a pentagon.

There werent any big action sequences like most dystopians. It remained fairly calm throughout, like the first two books. Being a conclusion didnt change that about it. It has the same feel and it didnt go out with a bang. The story was interesting, but I just wish there had been more romance. It did have an HEA, and there was one scene where Cassia was singing to Ky that made me cry, but overall it was about curing the plague. I am happy about the ending, I am glad I read this series, but I am also glad it is over. I loved the first book too much and it had my expectations too high for the series as a whole. But I still enjoyed myself.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reached.

Quotes Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Liked

Ally Condie
“I wish I could have one without the other, but that's the problem with being alive. You don't usually get to choose the measure of suffering or the degree of joy you have.”

Ally Condie
“I realize now how much courage it takes to choose the life you want, whatever that might be.”

Ally Condie
“There is ebb and flow. Leaving and coming. Flight and fall. Sing and silent. Reaching and reached.”

Ally Condie
“When we fall in love the first time, we don’t know anything. We risk a lot less than we do if we choose to love again. (Xander)”

Ally Condie
“Of course, one person can be the world.”

Ally Condie
“But i must count this journey,
all
For it has brought me Thee.”

Ally Condie
“I love you," she whispers.
"I love you," I say back.
I choose her again and again and again until the pilot interrupts us and it's time to fly.”

Ally Condie
“Newrose, Oldrose, Quean Anne's lace.
Water, river, stone and sun

Wind over hill, under tree.
Past the border none can see.

Climbing into dark for you,
Will you climb in stars for me?

P.124”

Ally Condie
“It's good to know that Xander's here. So that when I go down, she won't be alone.

"You walked through the Carving to find me," I tell Cassia softly. "I'm going to walk through this to reach you.”

Ally Condie
“I wanted to run, but I couldn't leave Ky. And I didn't want him to hear the sounds of people trying to save the man, or how Ky's own breathing sounded labored.

So I crouched down in front of Ky and covered one of his ears with my shaking hand, and then I leaned right up close to his other ear and I sang to him. I didn't even know I knew how.”

Ally Condie
“I never needed the Society," she says, "to Match me."
(-Lei)”

Ally Condie
“He says my name, over and over as we move together, until I'm caught in a strange place between weak and strong, between dizziness and clarity and need and satiety and give and take and... "Ky," I say back.”

Ally Condie
“I know the Otherlands are to her what Ky is to me, the best, most beautiful place, not fully realized, but full of promise.”

Ally Condie
“Right then I knew we were feeling the same thing. I knew we loved Cassia, if not exactly the same way, then the same amount. And the amount was: completely.”
tags: ky, xander

Ally Condie
“I put my hands flat on the papers, breathing in, holding on. He touched these too.

I turned through the papers, looking at each page. And in that cold metal aisle, alone, I wanted him. I wanted his hands at my back and his lips speaking poems on mine and our journey to each other to be completed, the miles between us consumed and all distance closed.”

01/25/2013 page 37
01/28/2013 page 396
77.0% "OMG I want to know what will happen now! But I have to go to bed. :("
show 3 hidden updates…