Summer's Reviews > Crash into You

Crash into You by Roni Loren

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: kindle-ebooks, romance
Read from January 05 to 06, 2012

I've been following Roni's blog for a couple years; I saw when she got her agent, and then not much later when she got her book deal. Roni is an extraordinarily giving blogger: giving of her knowledge, her passion, and her time (those blog posts aren't short, people). As soon as the details of Crash Into You came out, I knew that I would be reading it. I also knew that I was going to enjoy, and I wasn't wrong.

I'd thought this would be my first erotic romance, but it turns out that it isn't. My first straight contemporary ER, yes, but there wasn't a thing in the book that I haven't read in some of my darker urban fantasy/paranormal reads. :) However, the sexual encounters were more frequent, which was nice.

Roni did a great job creating a female MC that I could like. So often romance heroines are TSTL, but not Brynn. Not only was she smart and funny, but she was extremely likable and pitiable without being corny or wimpy or soft in any way. I hope writers like Roni are opening the doors to more modern, diverse types of main characters; I know it'll make me a happy reader.

Reid, the male lead, was definitely likable as well, even though I kept finding myself distracted by Jace... Ahhh, Jace. I can't wait to read his story in MELT INTO YOU, the second in the series.

It was like Roni knew exactly what I'd like to see in the story, and then wrote it. Particularly the first sexual encounter at The Ranch. Ohhh yes. I won't be forgetting that one.

For the most part, I liked the ten-years-ago storyline, but there were a few chapters from Then that I felt like were too long--mostly because I was dying to get back to The Ranch. I had a little trouble connecting 20-year-old Reid with 30-year-old Reid, but that's partially because I kept imagining him as a silver fox, for some reason.

The book's plot kept me humming along as well. It was pushed just enough for us to remember why things were happening, but not so forefront that we couldn't enjoy some slap and tickle. And speaking of slap and tickle, I really enjoyed learning some about D/s and BDSM. Roni did a wonderful job describing things, so even those who've never done it should have no problem imagining what it's like... (and maybe getting some new inspiration).

This isn't an author-issue, but I will say that there were some funky formatting problems on my Kindle, namely the strange presence of hyphens everywhere. If you can overlook it, then great, but if that sort of thing bothers you, consider the paperback version.

Overall, I thought this was a fine debut! Roni is a wonderful person, and I'm thrilled that her product lived up to my expectation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crash into You.

01/06/2012 page 176