Ricky Ganci's Reviews > Sea of Silver Light

Sea of Silver Light by Tad Williams

Jan 05, 2012

did not like it
Read in May, 2008

And with the final volume, Williams loses me. 300 pages of overwritten, tripish, hyper-explained and muddled plot through bizarre fantasy worlds that just seem to be there for the author’s enjoyment really pissed me off, and I’m throwing in the towel, feeling like I’ve wasted the last month of my life reading a story that I’ve not come to care about in any gorram way. I will not read anything else that he has written, and I cannot see how so many people find this volume of the series to be so uncritically good. This book was a joke—his writing style beat out of me every ounce and every iotus of care that I had for any of the characters, and since I can’t find a concise summary of the ending on the Internet, I’m just going to not care at all. I feel let down, pissed off, and REALLY glad that I only bought two of the books at full price. These books did NOT need to be this long. Tad Williams, you’re my least favorite fantasy author. Otherland sucks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea of Silver Light.

message 1: by Dev (new) - rated it 1 star

Dev Null Oh gods; you hated it this much and you _didn't_ read the ending? Sometime when you feel the perverse need to be driven into an apoplectic rage, dig it out again, skip to the last 70 pages or so, and read from there. Truly among the worst books I've ever read - and I _loved_ the first one in the series.

Ricky Ganci I will do that. I've been reading too-enjoyable books lately. You ever read anything else he has written?

message 3: by Dev (new) - rated it 1 star

Dev Null Quite liked the Shadowmarch series, but it was also too long. Not 5,000 pages too long like Otherwhere, but it could have been shorter. My thoughts on it are over here.