Mary Anne's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Jul 14, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, bookshelf-bitches
Read from July 02 to 11, 2012

I don't have a whole lot to say about this book. I've had it on my bookshelf for some time and hoped to get around to it this year. I don't believe I had many expectations about the book.

I thought this was really worth the read. I enjoyed reading things from Junior's perspective. I liked his explanations and appreciated his sense of humor. (view spoiler) He approaches his life and all of the complexities and pitfalls with honesty, humor, and brevity. It just doesn't get him down.

That's really all I've got for this one. If you've thought about reading it, do it.

Quotes Mary Anne Liked

Sherman Alexie
“Do you understand how amazing it is to hear that from an adult? Do you know how amazing it is to hear that from anybody? It's one of the simplest sentences in the world, just four words, but they're the four hugest words in the world when they're put together.

You can do it.”

Sherman Alexie
“When anybody, no matter how old they are, loses a parent, I think it hurts the same as if you were only five years old, you know? I think all of us are always five years old in the presence and absence of our parents.”

Sherman Alexie
“I didn't literally kill Indians. We were supposed to make you give up being Indian. Your songs and stories and language and dancing. Everything. We weren't trying to kill Indian people. We were trying to kill Indian culture.”

07/02/2012 page 7