Cathy 's Reviews > Darkness Devours

Darkness Devours by Keri Arthur

Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: shifter-not-wolf, paranormal, urban, fantasy, werewolf, vampire, read-in-2012, romance
Read from August 04 to 05, 2012

Read the 3 star reviews, everyone else has already said it better than I will. There's one by someone named Ferdy, one by Naomi, and one by my pal Pamela/Spaz P.

Look, the book was fine but it didn't add anything to the series and there were a lot of issues. I'm still a fan but the series doesn't have the impact that the other series had. It's tough to be compared to your own work, but inevitable. The biggest thing in this book that stood out was when Risa said that what was going on was far beyond Riley and Rhoan's experience and capabilities. (p129) Which was just an annoying excuse to keep them out of Risa's story when in a logical world they'd be working together. Send them to America or something if you really want them out of it. Because clearly the girl with no experience before any of this started except some personal protection training sessions isn't as capable as those two heroes, even with her abilities. And Riley can talk to ghosts, BTW, could have helped. But Risa I Can Suddenly Kill 16 Vampires doesn't need help.

And the choice to make the book entirely about distasteful vampire politics and not advance the key story at all was really odd. I haven't even bought into the key story, I don't really get it, but it is the foundation for the series, it's why Azriel is here, it's probably why Lucien is screwing with Risa, it's the center of the entire plot, so to skip the whole thing for the whole novel strikes me as just trying to keep selling more novels by stretching things out more.

The story that was there was mostly fine. Lucien is still a total jerk and it's starting to look like he's using some sort of magic on Risa to control her, but she's fighting it. Nothing has been said so this isn't a spoiler, but I think he most somehow be the bad guy they're looking for, no one else is in the book and he wants revenge in the people who tore his wings off. I don't think anyone is taking the threat he could represent seriously enough.

Overall it was an ok book with a lot of holes, especially when you compare it to the tighter stories that I've come to expect for the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Devours.

08/03/2012 page 116
31.0% "Can anyone remind me why the vampire council wants to kill Risa?"