Bodea's Reviews > Monument 14

bookshelves: arcs, netgalley
Read from April 16 to 21, 2012

More like 2.5 stars
but I'm rounding up

First, I want to say that this is definitely a YA novel suited to young adults. The narrative voice felt kind of young to me. The main character is supposed to be a junior, but the narrative read more middle school. As such, I kind of had a hard time completely getting into the story.

I felt like Monument 14 had a lot of potential that wasn't fully realized. I thought the novel opened strong and it continued to hold my attention fairly well until about a third of the way through. At that point, I started asking myself what some of the technical gadgets were because without a full explaination/description, it was hard to picture them. By the time some thing were explained, I was no longer interested. Also, the conflict wasn't interesting enough for me.

The characters were ok, but there wasn't one that really resonated with me. I felt like they were your typical highschoolers, extremely unlikable at times! They were interesting enough, but it was hard to care about things that were happening at times because I wasn't entirely enamored with the characters.Plus, I think we needed fewer characters.

I also felt like the setting and plot could have been stronger. There's this world here that we don't really get to explore. Most of the story the kids spend trapped in the store or focused on crushes and such. They have just about everything they need at their finger tips. Perhaps it would have been better to have them make it to the store later in the story as opposed to the beginning. Sure, we hear about what's going on around them and we know they are lucky, but that wasn't enough for me. I just think the story needed more action, more outside influence.

With all that said, I did enjoy Monument 14, but I'm not sure if I'd read the next book in the series. I think it will defiitely appeal to teen readers though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monument 14.

04/16/2012 page 50
04/20/2012 page 125
43.0% "Ok so far, but I find the narrative voice a little young. Reads more middle than high school."
show 1 hidden update…