Susan Mann's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Jan 05, 12

Read in January, 2012

Now why haven’t I read this book before now? I do not know and if you haven’t read it, you should its freaking awesome.
The book is amazing on so many levels. One of the most original books I have read in a long time. The narrator is the one and only Death, he fills us with tales from the lives and deaths of the people in Liesel’s world, from the child’s perspective who grows up in troubled times in a German town.
The main character Liesel, is a wonderful character who gradually sees what is happening to the fate of the Jews in her town, where is lives as an unwilling refugee. Her foster father is a man of kindness and great strength is shown, towards Liesel which surprised me at first as I thought her foster parents might not have cared for her in the way that they did. Liesel learns to read and falls in love with books, whilst she is with her foster family. Her foster dad reads to her and they paint the walls white and write words on them, such a touching moment.
Markus Zusak gives you an interesting insight into the historic events, which is both factual and haunting.
The book may sound a bit depressing with it being based in Nazi Germany during the way but that is farther from the truth, this book is a delight to read, heartfelt and beautiful. You will be left unsettled and it will be in your thoughts long after it is finished, especially Liesel’s character.
So next time you moan about your job and your life, think it could be worse, you could be death, now how depressing would that be? All it is, is death, death and oh death. Especially in Nazi Germany.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn I absolutely loved this book. I thought Death was an inspired character and I just loved his humour and the way he looked at the world.

Susan Mann Kathryn wrote: "I absolutely loved this book. I thought Death was an inspired character and I just loved his humour and the way he looked at the world."

He was an inspired character, he was someone a little different.