Lara's Reviews > Oryx and Crake

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Mar 16, 09

bookshelves: own, bleak-new-world, 2009
Read in March, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oryx and Crake.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Michael I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this one.

message 6: by Lara (last edited Mar 16, 2009 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara I was drawn in right away, and I really enjoyed all the imaginative company & product names and frighteningly possible concepts, but I was disappointed in the ending, the lack of character development of Oryx (when she was a title character!) and got slightly bored with Snowman wandering around. I expected something even more sinister to come about with the pigoons, probably because of the cover.

I'm such a tough customer!

Michael I had misgivings as well but I'm a sucker for books that revolve around genetics. Much of what Oryx went through really disturbed me and I had to move past that.

Lara Michael wrote: "I had misgivings as well but I'm a sucker for books that revolve around genetics. Much of what Oryx went through really disturbed me and I had to move past that."

Oh, yes, the genetics part was fascinating...I loved all the splice-ideas.

I think I wanted more of Oryx once she was involved with Jimmy and Crake - that part seemed so important and yet was a small fraction of the book.

I really didn't know what the point of the other survivors was, either...I thought the idea that the Crakers were already moving toward the "human" qualities that Crake thought he'd eliminated would have stood on its own as a strong (and eerie) ending.

I'm now reading a nonfiction about the moral & social ramifications of reproductive technology...I like to continue along themes :)

What's disturbing about HottTotts? *shudder*

Michael How funny - I'm reading a nonfiction book about what it means to be human!

Lara Just checked it out - you're apparently the first person to read it, too!