Kieran Delaney's Reviews > The Abduction

The Abduction by Mark Gimenez

Jan 05, 12

Read in April, 2008

This book markets itself as a sensitive portrayal of a little girls abduction from a wealthy family.... the fear and the shock as the assumed ransom demand never comes and her clothing turns up in a registered sex offenders truck is well depicted and well written - expertly told from multiple viewpoints and from inside the characters minds the story churns at your nerves with a very real sense of unease. Mistaken identity increases the emotional impact - but thats over by the 1st half of the book. And then it literally explodes from a touching melodrama into a tight physcological thriller that you just can put down.

At least twice Shelley looked at me funny whilst I was reading - I was grinning like an idiot as the family rapidly discover and punish the bad guys. Over the course of the book I got absolutely involved rooting for the family from start to finish. I've not read a story so affecting for a while, whilst Blaze made me root for the bad guy I always knew it would end badly - here I had hope and confidence that they could do what needed to be done.

I can't really think of anything in this novel that was negative - being ultra picky there was a slight feeling of "trying to hard" when there was some 1337 5P34K email messages read and decoded, but i just read that and thought "as if real geeks wrote emails like that - silly stereotypes". And thats being picky, it all happened on one page (which out of nearly 500 aint a bad ratio).

The crowning glory of this book though is the ending. Its perfect. It ends how it needs to end. It's restrained but eager, well paced and well plotted. The climax is missing important details as its told from multiple points of view - these leak in the closing chapters as the characters take stock, and for once I was glued to the very last page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Abduction.