Bryn Greenwood's Reviews > Getaway

Getaway by Lisa Brackmann

Feb 15, 13

Read from May 29 to December 17, 2012

Getaway is one of those books that make you more than a little afraid of going on vacation. This is not the sort of thriller where a casual vacationer morphs into a kickass hero by book's end, but one where an average American falls down a drug cartel rabbit hole after a series of poor decisions, and is lucky to escape with her life.

There is an absolute realism to the settings and the people in Getaway that left me feeling sure that if I went to Puerto Vallarta I would find an ex-pats' summit meeting at some beach bar and, if I made friends with the wrong people, I might find myself stuffed in the trunk of a car, about to be made an example of.

If I found myself muttering, "No, Michelle, don't do it!" at certain points, it was only because an aura of menace permeates the whole book. As readers, we so often like to think we're smarter or would have a better response than the characters we read about. Getaway is a reminder that reasonably intelligent people regularly plummet out of their depth into dangerous situations. Just watch the news.

The ending is deliciously noir, with enough uncertainty to guarantee that anything could happen on the way into that sunset. Sequel in the making?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getaway.