Eric T. Voigt's Reviews > Great Jones Street

Great Jones Street by Don DeLillo

Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: winter-eleven-twelve
Read from January 05 to 19, 2012

I took two days off of work, in the return of freezing weather and falling snow, to hole up under the warm sheets or on the cool couch with a poodle and finish this thing. Bucky Wunderlick's plague of coincidence is some brutal stuff. It's hard to have a vast network of criminals, wanna-be criminals and legally operating criminals expecting so much from you, I imagine. Had precursoring tones to it when thinking of "Running Dog" coming afterwards, with the violent murders and the confusion and range of interested parties in ultimately unsatisfactory product(s). Not as funny, but more than made up for that by being more existential. The privacy of looking in was achieved, I'd say, with Bucky's narration. Wish those lyrics had music set to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great Jones Street.

01/05/2012 page 75
28.0% "Now that Ryan has my "Nog" in his backpack, never to be seen again, and because I've set down "High Lonesome" indefinitely, and because I have four more new purchases coming in the mail I'm gonna try and go through a phase of reading books I actually own, so my library isn't so much "if only.""
01/15/2012 page 130
48.0% "Jillian is reading "The Help" and she better read it like a boss. It's a New York Times Best Seller, I'll bet. Not like this. This is raw. This is real. This belonged to Grayson Eckert, and I don't think she read past page 16. Don't read DeLillo for school, kids. Read DeLillo to SEE FOREVER." 1 comment
01/17/2012 page 156
57.0% "Okay, okay. I'm over half-way through this. I will finish it. I won't start another book until I finish it. But as I've told people out in the real world I'm pretty happy having a number of books I'm excited to finish instead of disappointments I hope to forget about."
01/19/2012 page 259
95.0% "An episode of Deadwood, then I'll finish."
01/19/2012 page 265
97.0% "By Deadwood I meant two episodes of Supernatural. Turns out you can't stream Deadwood. Not even legally."