Traci's Reviews > The Children of Húrin

The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: aficionado-top-100-challenge, fantasy, favorites
Read from January 15 to 16, 2012

I liked this much more than I expected I would. At first I thought it would be a complicated telling of an epic legend, so and so the son of so and so who is the son of so and so...and you get the idea. And then when I got past the introduction, which I hardly understood, I expected a watered down Tolkien for children. What I got was neither.

Maybe because it was a new unknown story for me but I actually liked it more than my recent LotR read. Is it a "better" book? Of course not. But if, like me, you like Scandinavian mythology you'll like this book too. It reminded of Poul Anderson's Broken Sword. Predictable when you have a familiarity to the story but still well done.

I can't really come up with anything I didn't like. It was quick, easy, and entertaining. For what it was I am satisfied.

I loved the gorgeous Alan Lee artwork.

I do question how much of this is actually J.R.R. Tolkien. It reminded me quite a bit of another author who I believe has worked with the Tolkien estate previously...

I recommend this to Tolkien fans, duh. But even non fans of LotR might like this. If you have an interest in mythology pick it up.

6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children of Húrin.

01/15/2012 page 100

message 1: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea I really love Children of Hurin. You're right; it's a very classic Scandinavian/Anglo-Saxon mythic tale. I've studied a lot of early medieval poetry and sagas and sometimes this book gives me chills because it'll be so reminiscent of something older I've read.

Joseph I really need to add this next time I reread Tolkien. I'll be curious to see how much it differs from the version in Unfinished Tales.

Traci I guess likewise I should read Unfinished Tales to see how it differs.

Joseph I love the story -- it's so grim and Scandinavian. It's also interesting to see him do multiple retellings of the same story at different level of detail -- from the very brief version in The Silmarillion to a fully-fledged book.