Lori's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012, all-time-favorites, faith-building, non-fiction, thought-provoking
Recommended to Lori by: a dear friend
Recommended for: those looking for true encouragement not platitudes
Read from January 05 to March 01, 2012

This is quite literally a work of poetry examining the harsh realities of modern life and how it effects our daily spiritual walk. This is not one of those fluffy, prosperity-gospel pieces full of platitudes and promises. Ann Voskamp has a beautiful grasp of the splendor that can be seen in the simplest gifts involved in everyday life while at the same time being willing to face the harsh realities of pain and loss in this fallen world. Her writing is painstakingly beautiful and poetic and I found myself over and over re-reading passages and contemplating them and saying to myself, "oh, she gets it." So many people don't. So many people write about life from a Christian perspective and after reading them I feel like a complete failure or that they must not face the same challenges that I do. Not so with Ann Voskamp. She is startlingly honest about her fears, her failures, her doubts and fears. She shares her journey and paints stunning word pictures of that journey that struck a deep, deep chord with me.

Over the years, as a young wife, mother and struggling Christian, I looked for others who had already been down the road ahead of me and made it through. I found great comfort and encouragement in the writings of Ruth Bell Graham, Marjorie Holmes, Elisabeth Elliot, Catherine Marshall and Beth Moore to name a few. Though I am chronologically further down the road than Ann Voskamp, I eagerly look forward to exploring her other works because after reading this beautiful book, I know without a doubt that she "gets" it and we all can use that kind of encouragement.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol A beautiful, heartfelt tribute to this book. I'm certain others will want to read this from what your have written.