Sarah's Reviews > Gutshot Straight

Gutshot Straight by Lou Berney

Jan 09, 12

Read on January 05, 2012

This book was a total indulgence & guilty pleasure. I was sucked in to it, and even though I knew it was marginally bad for me, I had to keep reading & find out what happened. Thank goodness it was fast-paced, as it made for a quick read with a slow reader.

Gutshot Straight tells the story of Shake, a 40-something getaway driver, who is freshly out of the Big House and is approached right away to do a straight-forward job: drive a car to Las Vegas, then take a plane back with a suitcase he gets in exchange for the car. Of course nothing goes according to plan...nothing. This book is filled with outrageous sterotyped gangster and stripper characters. The best example of this is the mob boss named Dick Moby & of course he is as fat as a whale.

The caper is outrageous as well. The suitcase Shake acquires holds 100 foreskins of Biblical antiquity and priceless value. Yes, outrageous. The dialogue is straight-forward, and The situations Shake gets into could fulfill some middle-aged men's fantasies. It was entertaining so I can't knock it for that. Now I must read at least 3 "serious" books in a row as penance for reading the whole thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gutshot Straight.