Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: kat-s-book-reviews, oppressive-dystopian-regime, the-great-shelf-of-meh, to-ya-or-not-to-ya
Read from April 28 to May 25, 2012

I have said this before and I’ll say it again. I have no prob­lem with an implau­si­ble story vehi­cle. As long as the ride is good and it relates a moral or philo­soph­i­cal value.

But where the line is drawn is when the world isn’t con­sis­tent and in the con­fines of that world, things don’t make sense.

That’s my limit. That’s when I start get­ting frus­trated and annoyed. And it’s not because an author tried some­thing new, okay? Lau­ren Oliver is AMAZING. She is a great author who is eru­dite and ver­bose and inter­est­ing to lis­ten to. I’ve seen her speak live and frankly to an audi­ence and her abil­ity to relate to them and express her­self is fantastic.

But this novel still didn’t work for me. Delir­ium, unfor­tu­nately, failed for me. Which is sad­den­ing, because Lau­ren Oliver is a good author and I know, with Delir­ium, she was reach­ing out and try­ing some­thing dif­fer­ent. I just wish it had been more successful.

Now, here’s where it all bug­gered up:

1. Incon­sis­tent world building.

The main pro­tag­o­nist says the word “love” twice. Once in con­ver­sa­tion and the sec­ond time men­tally. Love is a con­cept that’s stig­ma­tized to such an extreme degree that even the whis­pered word “sym­pa­thizer” is ver­boten. Yet the main pro­tag­o­nist SAYS it to her aunt – that she LOVES chil­dren. It just doesn’t make sense. And she’s wan­der­ing around with Alex and mak­ing out with him in pub­lic like the con­se­quence for that is a slap on the wrist. Look, she lives in a highly auto­cratic world where even a hint of the dis­ease will land you in prison – and she makes out with her boyfriend in the mid­dle of pub­lic places.

2. Char­ac­ter­i­za­tion.

I loved the char­ac­ter­i­za­tion of Lena. I thought it was accu­rate and real­is­tic. It’s the char­ac­ter­i­za­tion of Alex that left me hol­low and empty. He felt like a place-holder. Sim­ply a text­book demon­stra­tion of today’s YA expec­ta­tions of a love inter­est. Devoted, stalk­er­ish, sad back story. Oliver’s love inter­est in Before I Fall was so much more dynamic even though he com­prised a rel­a­tively small part in the story. Alex felt like a def­i­n­i­tion of desir­able love inter­est instead of actu­ally being a per­son Lena fell in love with.

3. Writ­ing.

I never thought I’d say this because, in my mind, Oliver is – and always will be – a fan­tas­tic writer. But there were aspects of the writ­ing in this book that were obvi­ous, cliche and sim­plis­tic. For exam­ple, Lena is emo­tion­ally stunted but it’s an obvi­ous par­al­lel. When­ever she feels intense emo­tion she blames it on the air con­di­tion­ing or weather etc. She is the result of a child­hood of emo­tional detach­ment – but not really – and this is where it gets per­sonal for me.

Because, if you don’t reli­giously read my reviews, then you wouldn’t know that my son was almost diag­nosed with Attach­ment Dis­or­der. Because when my first son was born, I was one of those weird reli­gious peo­ple that ascribed to books like Baby Wise, etc. For the first six months of his life, he barely looked at me in the eye. Attach­ment dis­or­der babies are those that, from their infancy, do not expe­ri­ence con­sis­tent, lov­ing care. They are chil­dren that learn, early on, that they are not truly loved and this results in a wide swath of behav­ioral and emo­tional problems.

Lena is the result of a child­hood that had a mother who loves her and responded accord­ingly to her needs, but other chil­dren in the soci­ety didn’t receive this – some­thing that I felt was a huge cope-out. What about the char­ac­ter­i­za­tion of a per­son who wasn’t loved? Who was a prod­uct of the sys­tem? I feel like this wasn’t exam­ined enough – wasn’t inspected enough. Like it was han­dled by some­one who just assumed that chil­dren would still reflect some mod­icum of nor­mal­ity after being raised in a world where they aren’t being lov­ingly raised by peo­ple prop­erly attached to them. And the assump­tion that you can have attach­ment with­out love – it’s mind bog­gling because I kind of feel like she was out of her depth on this one.

It’s not Oliver’s fault. But what I wanted from this is a deeper under­stand­ing of soci­ety from the point of view of some­one will­ing to delve into a harder, grit­tier, more real­is­tic story. Some­one will­ing to ask the tough ques­tions and write the tough char­ac­ter­i­za­tion. Instead the novel glosses over a lot of those things and thus felt cheap and shallow.

This review can also be found on our blog, Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Comments (showing 1-36)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Tatiana Why, Kat, why?

Kat Kennedy I liked Before I Fall but I hadn't seen your review for this one. Will go check it out now.

Tatiana I don't see you liking it. Just a friendly butt-in.

Kat Kennedy Ah, just read your review. Yeah - I think you're right.

Amelia It's okay. It's entertaining, but might annoy you a bit.

Marina I agree with Tatiana's review, but I actually didn't mind the implausibility of the plot, as much as I simply didn't care or engage much.

Sophie I actually really enjoyed the writing style of this book far more than in Before I Fall, and I think it has some redeeming qualities, despite the mediocre world building and portrayal of real love.

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I was thinking about reading this one but was a little on the fence about it, is it any good?

message 28: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe I too agree with Tatiana's review. The book fails to express just about all the themes.

Pauline You might prefer Pandemonium! It is much better than Delirium.

Camille Pauline is right, Pandemonium is better. I love this review - I felt the same way about these issues. For some reason, I liked this ridiculous book, but I still don't know why...

Stephanie Oh this review saddens me! I must look away! I LOVED Delerium and Pandemonium. I have a big emotional attachment to this series!

message 24: by sanshow (new) - added it

sanshow I am about a quarter through and have left this sort of abandoned for other reads...wondering if it's worth picking up still...

Stephanie The 2nd half of the book is worth the read. Keep going

Brandi Dalton I agree with Stephanie I enjoyed both the books. I haven't read before I fall yet. I thought that this book kind of shed light on the desensitizing of people but not in the usual fashion through imagery. I enjoyed the aspect of the masses following blindly so they won't get "sick".

Salina I really liked this book, but I also completely agree with your review. Especially about saying "love" part. Always bothered me.

message 20: by Pack-it-up (new)

Pack-it-up Wow Kat, I just want to say that you have completely captured my feelings and wants about many other books I've read that left me wanting as well. It's always a pleasure to read your reviews.

Noelyn Marie I agree with you entirely about Alex being underdeveloped as a character. Part of me hates to say that because I enjoyed this book so much. Looking back on the book, I definitely didn't become attached to him the way a reader should because he was a bit vacant, and, while I was definitely bummed by the ending, I was a big fan of Julian in the second book and am really torn on who I'm rooting for.

Ashtin I agree with noelwellin that Alex was pretty vacant but also am torn between Julian and Alex. For the rest of the day after I finished this book I was saying, " He is DEAD, HE CAN'T BE DEAD!!"

Leanne Omg...lighten up. It's a friggin book.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Not-so-spoiler-alert...

"They cut into her brain, Alex, and she was awake." <- ................????????
Okay, now let that sink it... Yeah not that shocking. I mean I understand not being sedated at all, okay, that sucks. But that's not what was said. A lot of brain surgeries are done with the patient awake. Not that shocking.

Overall it's a good book though, that line just killed me.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie ^disregard that comment, I meant to be on the actual Delirium page. I need to get better with this phone haha.

message 14: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey Gravelle I think the whole "I love children" comment to her Aunt was a big editing mishap - somebody wasn't paying attention when they were reading it over!

message 13: by Reem (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reem yeah

Victoria P Completely agree with your review. I think this book is way overrated.

Kelsey Mouhot Not to knock your opinion, but I think the 'inconsistent world buildup' as when Lena used the word love in conversation and to herself was purposeful. As though even she doesn't realize just how much like her mother she already is.

Jesikah Sundin For me, I think the issue was she removed "passion", not love from society. If you cure love, remove love, there is nothing to temper hate, unkindness, or any of those negative emotions/actions. Love tempers those, things. And you can love something, and not be passionate about it. So, to me, it wasn't a world without love, it was a world without passion.

Waneeka Husain I am glad someone else was dissatisfied with the book. I am not the only one ! I just can't finish this book. I love Oliver! She is a huge inspiration to many young girls. But the author spends too much time describing unnecessary scenarios too much. Usually it takes me a day or two to complete a book but this is taking too long !

Carthya Herondale i agree with you entirely on the "1. Incon­sis­tent world building." thing!!

message 7: by Ally (new)

Ally I totally agree with the fact this book has inconsistent world building, really bugged the crap outta me. But the thing that frustrated me the most was the fact that it is so mind numbingly boring. It just chases itself in circles constantly. And this is a real shame as the premise is interesting enough.

Caralee The second book is better.

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat From chapter one it felt inconsistent and unclear, so I put it down. I've actually grown intensely frustrated with YA in general. But then is my ow writing truly any better?

Angel I agree with the review. I was not invested when I began, just picking it up when I had time (slow, same aggravation with the issues pointed out here). Then I finished the book and felt, well that wasn't bad, and honestly, if I didn't have that nagging feeling that I HAVE to read the entire series just because it was there, and again, the first book wasn't bad, I would not have given the series a second thought. THE NEXT TWO BOOKS ARE SOOO MUCH BETTER. Going to read more of the authors stuff now. I recommend the series just because of the last book honestly.

Rachel I haven't read it yet, but I checked it out of the library about two days ago, most thought it was terrible, but it really intrigued me. What should I expect?

message 2: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Small Jeremy wrote: "I agree i found the whole concept to be really corny and stupid not to mention very unrealistic"

DUDE. Fantasy books are completely unrealistic, but SOME people love them... I thought the entire delirium series was great!

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy "What about the char­ac­ter­i­za­tion of a per­son who wasn’t loved? Who was a prod­uct of the sys­tem? I feel like this wasn’t exam­ined enough – wasn’t inspected enough. Like it was han­dled by some­one who just assumed that chil­dren would still reflect some mod­icum of nor­mal­ity after being raised in a world where they aren’t being lov­ingly raised by peo­ple prop­erly attached to them. And the assump­tion that you can have attach­ment with­out love – it’s mind bog­gling because I kind of feel like she was out of her depth on this one"
Years ago, my early childhood education professor showed us a video about monkeys (they looked like Marcel from Friends, can't remember what they're called) who were deprived of their mother's touch. Some were given puppets or robots (can't remember) that stood stationary with a bottle. The monkeys eventually died. The same professor also told us of a hospital that was short staffed and for some reason,a lot the babies in the nursery started dying. Later it was determined that babies need attention, love, touch, etc, to even survive.