Shanshad Whelan's Reviews > Seawitch

Seawitch by Kat Richardson

Oct 10, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, mystery, series, urban-fantasy
Read from October 09 to 10, 2012

I've been faithfully following the Greywalker series for all seven books now. Actually, I didn't really know about the books until I came across a Greywalker short story in one of the anthologies I read. I was intrigued by the character and the world building and promptly dug up the first book in the series. (So you see, those anthologies can really help find new readers).

What to tell you . . . I honestly feel this particular addition to the series has a quieter and more subdued tone to it overall. But it's a well done seafaring story added to the canon and I read through it fairly quickly.

I think I'm best off telling you that if you haven't liked the Greywalker books before, you probably won't like this one. The romantic elements are sideline stuff (this author is more interested in mystery and fantastic themes). The books are not kick-ass heroine action adventure. The main protagonists are not really the larger than life types. They are complicated and thoughtful.

One of the things I love about this series is that it doesn't have a focus on clothes. It's a pet peeve of mine. If within a few pages of the opening of a story the heroine is kidnapped and threatened with possible death and doom and she's thinking about how at least her panties match her bra . . . then that book is not going to be read by me. But beyond the extremes, most of the urban fantasies I've read give at least several paragraphs over to clothing and costume changes. It's not all bad, mind you, but it's refreshing to read a novel where that isn't a real point of interest.

All I can say in conclusion is that I hope the author will continue with Harper. I'd personally love to see a few more short stories featuring this protagonist!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seawitch.