Andy Shuping's Reviews > The Baseball Hall of Shame: The Best of Blooperstown

The Baseball Hall of Shame by Bruce Nash

Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: not-amazon

The “Baseball Hall of Shame” series is one of my all time favorite series. It’s just got that perfect blend of trivia and funny stories that makes it an entertaining read on a rainy day. So I was excited to see this new volume come out, the first one in over twenty years, just to see what new stories they added.

And while it’s still a good read I felt a bit disappointed in it. For one it wasn’t all new stories, which yes if I read the product description carefully it kind of hints at that, but it isn’t overtly obvious. But even more important to me is they also just seemed to leave out stories that I think modern fans of baseball would love, such as Bobby Cox breaking the record for getting thrown out of the most games. And where was the Robin Ventura/Nolan Ryan match? I think I just expected a bit more from this book and it just didn’t quite deliver like the other books do. It still has its funny moments though, such as Ken Griffey, Jr. putting the cow in Lou Piniella’s office and “The Mad Russian” who asked his wife to sit in the stands and yell insults at him so he played better.

Overall it’s still a good book to the series and a good way to introduce new fans to the rest of the series. 3 out of 5 stars.

ARC provided by NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baseball Hall of Shame.