Feerena's Reviews > Death of a Salesman

Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: own-this-book

Y'know, we had to read this book for school, in my English class. I don't want to complain, I've read worse books, for sure, but I ain't a big fan of this one either. Of course, the failure of the American Dream is described more than well, but the story really does depress you throughout the process of reading. Maybe I did not understand everything correctly since English is not my native language but I definitely got the characters' attitudes, and they really bothered me. Sometimes I just wanted to scream at Willy, galvanise Linda and slap the boys because their behaviour was so utterly wrong. One could argue that this might have been Miller's aim, and I have to agree that it may not be easy to involve the reader so much, to drag him into the story. But there's also another important point why reading this was rather annoying: The change of time and place was confusing, no, more than confusing. It was irritating. Again, one could argue that this was also intended, and I would not deny that - but these points made it difficult for me to like the story, may they require writing skills or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death of a Salesman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Zack ....galvanize. :)

message 2: by Feerena (last edited May 01, 2012 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Feerena Thanks, but can't you write it that way, intending to use British English? Just as realise/realize?