Angela's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: arc, retelling, science-fiction, young-adult, read-in-2012
Read from January 05 to 11, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

01/05/2012 page 1
0.0% "Part of the Isis and Angela Good (we hope!) Book Challenge."
01/06/2012 page 30
8.0% "Intriguing opening, but I'm feeling a bit lost b/c I don't know what cyborgs and androids are by definition. I keep thinking of the DRIOD phone commercials." 4 comments
01/08/2012 page 155
40.0% "Nerd alert: I have to point out that a ratio is *not* a percentage and that ankles are not socket joints. Now back to reading...." 14 comments
01/10/2012 page 175
45.0% "Oh, I saw that coming."
01/11/2012 page 285
73.0% "So glad things picked up! I think Kai's interest in Cinder is absolutely adorable and feels genuine. Hope this"
01/11/2012 page 346
89.0% "Hilarious typo in the ARC: it refers to a "coy" pond instead of a koi pond. Who knew a body of water could be so coquettish?"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

I am Bastet HECK YES! :-D

Angela YEAH! I probably won't actually start it until tonight, but then I will be reading right along with you. :)

I am Bastet I actually haven't technically started either. Sometime this afternoon!

message 4: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy I was really interested in this book when I saw it at the store! Looking forward to your review.

Angela @Judy: Will let you know how it goes!

I am Bastet Sci-fi geek Isis to the rescue. A cyborg is a human who's got robot parts. Like a fake arm, or leg, or internal organs. An android is a robot (no human parts) with artificial intelligence. Yay!

Angela @I: Thanks, chica! I *kinda deduced* that from the opening chapters, but I was unsure whether Cinder is supposed to have human intelligence or artificial. With all of the references to interfaces, even in her, it made me wonder if she's supposed to be more robotic than human. Thoughts?

message 8: by I am Bastet (last edited Jan 06, 2012 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am Bastet I think Tatiana mentions in her review that it's never really addressed. My personal assumption, based on the way it's written, is that she has human emotions but she has that interface that can read people *for* her. The little light that blinks when someone lies, for instance. She doesn't know how the interface picked up the lie, only that it did. So its just enhancing her perception of the world. That's how I'm getting it, but I could be wrong, or we could find out I'm wrong later!

There are three books listed on GR as coming after this one, so perhaps it's addressed in a later book.

I am Bastet Now that I've read more, I'm not sure about her brain. You'll see what I mean.

Angela Hmmm. I read about two more chapters last night (view spoiler) and I am starting to get more confused about how human vs. non-human all of these creations are supposed to be. :/

I am Bastet A couple chapters after that, you'll be even more confused. I thought I understood given my familiarity with science fiction. In fact I do not understand.

Angela Bah. That *is* going to confuse me every more. I'll let you know how it goes.