Best Books To Read's Reviews > Goddess of Vengeance

Goddess of Vengeance by Jackie Collins

Jan 05, 12

Read in May, 2011

I admit it; I am a huge JC fan. I have always loved the sleaze and glamour that her books seem to hold. Jackie Collins is without a doubt in my eyes the Queen of Sleaze! She wrote her first book in 1968 and has been writing ever since. Her latest book was released in April 2011 and was downloaded to my Kindle as soon as I could get my grubby mitts on it.

We first met the character Lucky Santangelo in the book Chances published way back in 1981. She has since gone on to appear in another 7 books including this latest one. With a name like Lucky (only Jackie Collins could think of a name like that) you know that her life will be the polar opposite of her name. I have read all of JC’s books but to be truthful my memory fades as it was in my late teens that I started reading them. Having said that, you are brought right up to speed with Lucky and her past in this current book. Anybody having not read JC books before can easily read this as a stand alone novel.

As a reader you dive head first into the world of the Santangelo’s. You get to meet Luck and her husband Lennie. We also meet their eldest son Bobby and youngest daughter Max, as well as Lucky’s friend Venus. All of the characters have ridiculously amazing lives and with their wealth and glamour comes drama! Lucky herself is an amazing character that could never exist in real life. If she does, I seriously want to meet this ballsy woman who always gets what she wants both in her personal life as well as business. Lucky unfortunately manages to attract the attention of Armand Jordan, who is also a ruthless business man. Armand is used to getting his own way and goes out of his way to buy Lucky’s casino and resort The Keys in Las Vegas.

As much as the drama of all the characters and their lives is a tad unrealistic (at least in my ordinary world) it is such an escapist read that before you know it you are halfway through the book. I must say that as much as I love the Santangelo’s the character Armand was a truly despicable character. Jackie Collins never has been shy in being graphically explicit and this book is no different. If you are not a fan of books that features a lot of sex and drugs, then maybe this is not for you. Her writing style is easy to read and the chapters flow from character to character making it easy to keep up with who is doing what. In addition to Lucky’s family and Armand we also meet other characters that flit in and out of the book such as Max’s friends and Venus’ ex husband.

As usual with a JC book, it took me not time at all to finish the book and found myself wondering if maybe I should read some of her older books again. If you love sleaze, glamour, and major family dramas then the series of books featuring Lucky’s family will definitely be up your street.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess of Vengeance.