Gina Denny's Reviews > Not My Type: A Single Girl's Guide to Doing It All Wrong

Not My Type by Melanie Jacobson

Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: lds-authors, favorites, contemp
Read on January 05, 2012

Melanie Jacobson does it again. Another funny, sweet, LDS romance that you definitely do not need to be LDS to read and love.

This time, we leave behind the confident, charismatic characters of "The List" and are introduced to the shy, the awkward and the self-conscious. Which, frankly, I am sure most of us can relate with better, anyway. Broken engagements, emotional baggage, insecurities and flaws abound, but still leave us with lovable characters that you just want to cheer for. Or give a big hug to. One of the two.

I love that the "villain" can be redeemed without the story feeling cheesy.
I love that people can grow and change and still be true to the original character.
I love that she can so perfectly nail that feeling of "when will my life begin" we all feel during our twenties.
I love that she can capture the funny pieces of our LDS culture without feeling like she's mocking and/or apologizing for it. We are what we are, and she embraces that and makes it a part of the story without it being preachy or alienating.

PARENTAL ADVISORIES:
Sex 1/5: Some kissing, some off-screen makeout sessions. Vague reference to how the non-LDS world "dates"

Violence 0/5: Sibling wrestling. But that doesn't count.

Language 0/5: Totally clean.

Substance Abuses 0/5: Totally clean.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not My Type.