Katie's Reviews > Stray

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: surprisingly-good, reviewed, 2012-picks
Read in June, 2012

Possible Spoilers

For $2.99 on Kindle, this book is quite entertaining. Really, it's probably a 3.5 star book, but I had a blast reading this. One day, Cassandra Devlin is walking home from high school, and the next second she's ended up on a completely different planet. What follows is an enjoyable sci-fi romp that would make for a good anime premise.

Our heroine, Cass, is realistic. She reacts to this situation that's completely natural, yet unexpected. The book literally opens with her saying something like this "WTF. Where am I??" And while her journal entries are at first calm, she reveals that she's actually scared/upset. Cass is also able to laugh at herself, and that's always appreciated. At times she complains too much, but it's understandable. At first, I thought her voice was very juvenile and was surprised to learn she was a high school senior. But after a while, I got used to it.

What's interesting here is that there is a language barrier present through the novel. I thought this was handled well. Basically, a dictionary is inserted in her head. But even though it translates words, it doesn't take into account words with multiple meanings, or profanities. So whenever Cass tries to speak, she sounds very much like a toddler learning their first language. I loved that this wasn't glossed over, that Cass isn't just given everything. And even at the end of the book, she still has a lot to learn language wise.

As for romance, there actually isn't one. Cass has a crush, but it wasn't on someone I expected and it didn't go anywhere (yet). Other characters are interesting, but not fully fleshed out yet.
For the first book in the series, the world/premise is what is more explored. And the world is interesting, albeit a little confusing. It very much reminded me of something out of an anime (in a really good way). I don't really feel like explaining it, or giving anything away. I will say that the book could have used a little editing, since the plot wasn't very clear and the story seemed kind of long. But I was never bored.

I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. For a self-published title, it surpassed my expectations. I caught two glaring grammatical errors, but didn't notice any others. For $2.99, you really get your money's worth. If the book sounds cool to you, check it out.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stray.

06/05/2012