Carrie's Reviews > The Rocky Road to Romance

The Rocky Road to Romance by Janet Evanovich

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: category-romance, contemporary, humorous, library-has-copy, read-2012
Read in January, 2012

When I first stared reading romance novels several years ago, I happened to pick up a few of the newly rereleased early works of Janet Evanovich. I realized recently that I'd somehow missed this one. I now have a little more experience with romance novels, and while reading The Rocky Road to Romance it occurred to me that Evanovich's early books are more in the line of good natured self-mockery than a serious attempt at romance. The story contains many romance cliches which are stripped down to the bare essentials. None of the characters, including the dog, and few of the situations are believable, but they're fun. Several of these early works have a hero that falls in love instantly and decides he's going to marry the heroine. The book continues from there as he finds ways to convince the heroine she can't live without him. The dialog is clever and the characters endearing. Bob the dog is a hit.

The book does change pace a bit towards the end as our heroine has a very believable struggle trying to figure out who she has become during her single-minded pursuit of her doctorate, and what she wants for the future. While not exactly deep, it gives the book more depth than it starts with.

The early works of Janet Evanovich won't win any writing awards, but for a funny read with a little heart, they're pretty much a sure thing. 4* for entertainment value.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rocky Road to Romance.