Darkfallen's Reviews > Immortal Beloved

Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan

Jan 10, 12

bookshelves: read-n-reviewed
Read from January 05 to 08, 2012

So when I first read the premise to this book I was super excited to get started. I mean a immortal girl goes to rehab and meets a sexy immortal man named Reyn? Ummmmmm Yes Please!

This book just wasn't what I thought it was going to be however. What I mean is that I thought the romance was going to take a front seat in this plot and it so does not. The relationship, if you can call it that, between Reyn and Nas was at times that back burner that you always forget that you left on until you burn the house down.

Still this story was interesting enough to keep me reading even without the romance playing a heavy part, which is saying something because we all know I need my swoon-worthy moments to keep me entertained.And I am really hoping that I will get more of the romance in book two with Darkness Falls, but lets get back to this book, shall we?

The writing took me a little bit to get used to. Nasty comes off as a bit of a valley girl persona, and at times I had a hard time following her train of thought in the beginning, but I got used to it and then it wasn't a problem. Sometimes she even made me laugh with her inner dialogue. It's always nice when a book can make you laugh. But on the other hand the flashbacks into her past felt a little wordy and long winded leaving me bored at times. That's why this book is getting 3 stars instead of 4 or even 5. I just felt we could have used a little less living in the past and a little more living in the now to make the connection stronger. For instance we would go back to read about an important thing that happened in Nasty's past and for some reason the author also felt the need to tell me exactly what she was wearing, and it just didn't feel necessary to get the main point across. (That's just one example of what I'm talking about.)

In the end I did enjoy this book and I immediately picked up the sequel. I can't wait to see where the story goes!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal Beloved.

01/05/2012 page 120
29.0% "Okay I hope this picks up."
01/08/2012 page 407
100.0% "Ummmm so not bad but not what I expected."

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Duperre Me too. A bored Darkfallen is a Darkfallen who just may fold reality in on itself just to break the monotony. Which is something absolutely none of us wants.

Darkfallen Hehe. Me? Fold reality? I would never!! Or would I? Ummmmm the world may never know.

As for the book...it's ok now that ive gotten the hang of it. But it's a bit, um, Valley Girl'ish? Does that make sense?

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Duperre Like, perfect sense. Totally.

Darkfallen Don't make me smack you. Lol