A.'s Reviews > Illuminated

Jan 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal-ya, historical-medieval
Read in January, 2012

To be honest, before I read this book I didn't even know who Heloise and Abelard were. So I have to give kudos to Erica Orloff for introducing me to their tragic tale. I mean, castrated? Really? The poor guy.

The protagonists in this book are sweet, young, naive and blissfully fall in love. Callie is a 17 year old girl staying with her uncle in New York for the summer, as she does every year, when she meets August, the son/assistant of the brilliant agoraphobic historian who's in talks with uncle Harry about the newly discovered palimpsest (again kudos Orloff! Had no clue what that was). Together they embark on a journey from New York to eventually the countryside of France on a mission to figure out the hidden secrets behind the devastating love affair of Heloise and Abelard, dodging "tome raiders", confronting family lies and making out all the while. Woot!

Now as for Callie and August, their love story is much lighter, the epitome of young love. Sure, the pacing of the book and the development of their romance is fast, (view spoiler) but also enjoyable. I mean, it's no Pride and Prejudice by any means but it's a quick read for those in desperate need for something to lift your spirits after reading some sappy-gut-wrenching-cry-your-heart-out historical romance. Not that I did... ..maybe ...

To sum it all up, Illuminated is a book I'd recommend to teens and jaded old men just for the kicks! In one word, I'd describe the book as pleasant. So pleasant, yes! Believable, not so much. But still a book I'd give to a friend all the same.

P.S. I remember finding this under New Paranormal Books on the site but for those looking for something along those lines, this is not it. There's a mystical element to it but vampire and werewolves excluded.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illuminated.