Mark Rasem's Reviews > Beware of Boys

Beware of Boys by Tony Blundell

M 50x66
Jan 05, 12

Read in January, 2012

The story of a small boy who, when taking a short-cut through a forest on his way home, is captured by a hungry wolf.
When the wolf announces to the boy his intentions to eat him, the boy suggests a recipe for 'Boy Soup' that the gullable wolf finds intriguing enough to go out in search of the ingtredients for.
When he returns, the boy prompts the wolf wolf on a missing ingredient, leading to the repetitive cycle of the wolf being continually being outsmarted by the boy, who eventually plays out an ingenius plan of escaping the clutches of the wolf unharmed and returning home to his mum, along with the vast number of ingredients collected by the wolf throughout the course of their time together!

The book uses a humourous angle to play on children's likely preconceptions of a wolf being a vicious animal, who's desire for a delicious meal leads to his downfall, via the clever maneuvering of the boy.
I personally found the mildly dark humour employed ammusing, proving very effective alongside the ellaborately detailed illustrations.

A sizeable proportion of the plot is relient on the reader to comprehend the somewhat subtle tone of the humour, and for this reason I would possibly aim this book at Year 3/ 4 pupils.

In conclusion, I would wholly recommend this book to younger readers due to it's ability to encapture the imagination and engage interest.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beware of Boys.

message 1: by Kay (new)

Kay I echo Mark's review of this book. I would further add that the opportunities of questioning for inference are many within this book, e.g. the addition of ingredients that are not in the methods and why? What are the boys thoughts?

Also that the moral or 'not forgetting the salt' could lead to further discussion on healthy eating and what additives are good for the human body.