Teresa's Reviews > Una casa en Brandenburgo

Mar 14, 12

bookshelves: german-lit, historical-fiction, 21st-century
Read from March 12 to 14, 2012 — I own a copy

3.5

I know it should be 4 stars but...
I really don't know how to review this book, it's so special, and different and, in it's own way, brilliant.
The way it is structured gives us the contrast between what's changeable (people living in the house, reforms made, periods of History, etc) and what's not (nature, who's also ever changeable but humans have a too short lifetime to witness it). That's why you need to be extremely attentive when reading it, because there are always "correspondences", things repeated, or parallel to what has been said before, etc.
Also, the narrative is also quite different. Normally it is not linear, it uses a lot of flash-backs, and it is written as if it were the line of thought of the character.
It's an excellent book, also quite depressing in my opinion (in a good way), but I really recommend it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Una casa en Brandenburgo.

03/12/2012 page 11
03/13/2012 page 130
64.0% "Pero para ella, cuya única patria sería la humanidad, la duda ocupaba siempre el lugar de la nostalgia."
03/14/2012 page 183
90.0% "Aunque su cuerpo envejeciese, la esperanza depositada en la salvación de la humanidad de las redes de la codicia y la envidia permanecería joven mucho tiempo, mortales son los errores de los mortales, pero su trabajo es inmortal."
show 4 hidden updates…