Jared's Reviews > Guardians of the West

Guardians of the West by David Eddings

Jan 05, 12

So the Malloreon, like the Belgariad, Is pretty eh over all. I find Eddings is too indulgent in his characters which makes them seem fake. They are more like a drawing of a character. It is almost as if the characters themselves KNOW they are characters in a book and act in ways that say HEY READER! IN CASE YOU MISSED IT THE LAST 30 TIMES THIS IS WHO I AM. Eddings is redundant with their behaviors and brow beats you with it over and over and over. On top of that, most of the characters do not grow or change. They are exactly who they were 3, 5 and 7 books ago. Belgareth DOES change, but for the worse. He actually gets dumber as he gets older. Over all the books are fairly enjoyable. I didn't stop reading them. I am not saying they are a waste of time, but you could spend your time in better company then Eddings in my opinion. Eddings has now joined Goodkind at the top of my "Why the hell do people love this author so much?" List.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardians of the West.