Hp Tan's Reviews > The Slap

The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas

Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: did-not-complete

I stopped at about the second page. I was at a book sale, trying to decide if the book was worth buying, worth the hype. And, desperately trying to make a decision, I decided to read the first chapter. I mean, one of my favourite authors (Richelle Mead) always writes the most captivating first chapters (or books, as a matter of fact), so maybe I can judge this book by its first chapter, too..?

Meh.

I was greeted with exactly the type of writing I hate. Very impersonal, "Jack did this. Jack then did that." sort of writing. Lots of swearing. Unnecessary swearing. I don't mind swear words in books. But not if they do not exactly serve too much of a purpose. I mean, you can use the F word to bring across a character's frustration, anger. But to just keep on using it as an adjective for objects, etc., that was just lame; and to me, a display of weak writing.

Maybe I'm missing out just because of the first few pages. Maybe the hype really is worth it. Maybe it's an excellent book.

But I think there are better ones out there that I'll enjoy the first few pages of, and would really be worth the buy. Perhaps another day, eh?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Slap.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hayley you didn't miss out on anything! I read the whole thing and regret it immensely!!!

message 2: by Hp (new) - added it

Hp Tan Hayley wrote: "you didn't miss out on anything! I read the whole thing and regret it immensely!!!"

That settles it then. Never reading the book again. It's a cosmic sign. ^^ Hohoho. I guess the most wildly raved about books always have 2 camps of people. Or all books, actually.. But The Slap was so.. unappetising. :(