Dana's Reviews > Entertain the End

Entertain the End by Katherine Applegate

Feb 20, 12

Read on February 20, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I honestly don't know how I felt about the end of this series. But first, we will discuss this book as an individual.

This wasn't my favorite. Mainly because I think the portrayal of Hel is poorly done and having her as the main bad guy at the end I felt took away from what could have been another five star book. Hel is a spoiled brat and isn't all that scary to me when she stomps her feet. I think the author missed a big opportunity to make Hel into something that got under your skin and made you genuinely afraid. I think the calmer Hel is, the creepier she could have been.

That being said, I actually enjoyed the moments that April was back in the real world. For the first time, that didn't seem like filler but was filled with moments where it made me feel just as torn as the character about which world she should choose to live in. And the fading away scenes? Disturbing and nicely done.

The ending, however, felt rushed to me. Then again, this book is for pre teens and maybe their attention span is shorter than mine. Although, if that were the case, maybe they shouldn't be reading a series with twelve books in it.

As for the series. I'm not sure how I feel simply because one storyline was wrapped up, but another storyline that I feel was just as big, was not. I feel like the author wasn't sure how to deal with the Ka Anor thing and so she just decided to give up on it. Also, the fact that the kids will never return home doesn't sit right with me. They've left behind everything and I feel like this should have been a decision with a little more weight to it. Instead, it was done almost without thought and makes me think of them as selfish, especially when reading the police report at the end.

Overall, I did enjoy this series. I think I got more out of it now then when I was a kid and it's definitely worth a read. I just wish there was a little bit more to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entertain the End.

02/20/2012 page 32