Dana's Reviews > High Fidelity

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

May 27, 12

Read from April 21 to May 27, 2012

There is something so completely charming about this book. Maybe it's the humor, or maybe it's in the fact that this is far from a Rom-com and doesn't make any attempts to romanticize love. It could also be because its clever and smart and is the type of book you don't see often. And yes, I may be biased since I'm a John Cusack fan and this is one of my favorite movies, but that's beside the point.

Rob, is an ass. He's fucked up and pathetic and is the embodiment of a loser. Let's just get that out of the way now. He's the type of male that fucks up at every corner (sometimes he realizes it, sometimes he doesn't) and then tries to make excuses for why he did the things he did, never learning from his mistakes. Doesn't sound very good, does it? However, Rob's inability to move outside of his head, his over dramatization of almost everything in his life, and his two co-workers who are equally, if not more clueless than him, creates a situation that is somehow endearing or at the very least, oddly humorous. The author creates Rob with clear intention in mind, and while Rob doesn't seem to realize it, any intelligent reader can see that not only are the surrounding characters mocking Robs disillusionment with the world and himself, but the author is as well. It makes for a situation that would send most feminist screaming to actually become something tongue and cheek. It is no way advocating what Rob does, and is, in fact, showing how he blunders in to a state of being where he can see the error of his ways. Now, whether or not he continues down this path of self enlightenment, is up for debate but how he gets there is not only believable (I too, am known to get too inside my head) but hilarious.

High Fidelity is both a great movie and a great novel. It's worth a read when you just want to take a break from the over dramatic prose that saturate the market today. For any music lover, or for anyone that tends to fantasize or blow out of proportion the smallest of situations, this book is for you. At the very least, it gives you perspective on your own life and you can later say to yourself when you are dumped, at least I'm not as pathetic as Rob. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Fidelity.

04/21/2012 "Apparently I'm on a kick where I read novels that have John Cusack movie adaptations."
show 3 hidden updates…