Dot's Reviews > The Winter Pony

The Winter Pony by Iain Lawrence

Jan 04, 12

** spoiler alert ** The front cover of The Winter Pony asks "Who will survive the race to the South Pole?" (view spoiler)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter Pony.

message 1: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob Sled You forgot to mention that some of the dogs die as well. Or did you decide to leave at least one little thing for the reader to learn on his own?

What's the point of this "review?" It should be removed.

message 2: by Dot (new) - added it

Dot In all fairness, I hid my recounting of the multiple pony deaths under the "spoiler" tag to keep from giving away the ending to an unwitting reader.

It's true that my review doesn't come out and say what I thought of the book itself. The amount of suffering in horse books is practically a cliche. From Black Beauty to War Horse, it's true that these stories are often peppered with violence and tragedy. Even with all that, Winter Pony stood out as having a particularly gruesome ending, and one that may come as an unwelcome surprise to a horselover who'd picked up the book looking for good historical read.

Lawrence is a notable author, but I can't help but wonder what he hoped to accomplish with Winter Pony. Not that everything should have a message, but really, what's the message here?