Edna's Reviews > Catching Jordan

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Jan 05, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, contemporary, young-adult
Read from January 04 to 05, 2012

THIS. Seriously, THIS BOOK! Oh my. I think I'm in LOVE.

So, yesterday I was shopping online at the Barnes & Noble site. Catching Jordan popped up on my screen and it fit my budget and had good ratings—why not take a look? I had seen it around the blogging world with much praise (Simone Elkeles couldn't put it down! and of course I'd take her word for it) and whatnot. I skimmed the summary. I saw HIGH SCHOOL QUARTERBACK. Guess what I immediately thought of? Friday Night Lights—oh, Matt Saracen. You know, because high school football equates to FNL, duh. Anyway when I read it more carefully I saw this was about a female QB ONE and I thought AMAZING. Must. Buy. It.

Last night I was pretty hooked within a few pages. So much so that I kept mentioning little things about it to my sister. When that happens, I KNOW I have a good one on my hands. Then I got her to start reading it on the computer and there we were all night glued to the pages and giggling and taking about passages or characters. It was FUN. The last time we were like this was probably when she took my rec to read Anna and the French Kiss.

Jordan was a great character, I instantly liked her from the get-go. I admired her conviction and love for football. The whole premise of overcoming the odds (with schools, with her father) was very engaging so it was easy to cheer her on and hope she achieves her dreams. And I know she was sort of stereotypically tomboy because she's in sports, but yeah, so what? I thought it fit. Who says a girl can't trash talk and curse, eat loads of food, wear mesh shorts (ALL the time), and talk football?

One of the BEST things about this book: the humor. And when I talk about the humor, I HAVE to mention her friendships. They were so genuine, touching and FUN—the bantering, their protective natures, the strong support they provided. I always had a smile whenever she interacted with her guys. I can't forget the girlfriends she gained as well. They seemed to fit right in with Jordan and provide that extra outlet she needed outside of the football players.

Jordan and her love life. (view spoiler)

I have to point out that even though I did get frustrated (not TOO much, but yeah, how dense can Jordan be sometimes? I still love you, though!) during some parts, I had a good time reading this. Yes, that's including the teen angst and drama in the latter half of the novel. Overall, Catching Jordan has such good mix of humor, love, friendship, family, and of course, football. It was everything I was looking for in a good YA.

And for anyone else who loves this novel, you should definitely check out this great SHORT STORY which takes place at Christmastime nine months before Catching Jordan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Jordan.