Deidra (I Believe in Books)'s Reviews > Secret Society

Secret Society by Tom Dolby

Jan 04, 2012

it was ok
Read from January 04 to 06, 2012

I didn't love it. That being said, I didn't hate it. I guess I could say that the book was ok. I had checked it out from the library a while ago, and the book was due soon so I thought I would spend Thursday reading it. I had almost finished it when I went to bed... and then my body decided that it's on a weird sleeping schedule and woke up me up at 3:30. When I finally decided I wasn't going to get anymore sleep, I finished the book.

I guess my main problem with the book was the lack of credible detail. There were certain parts when I knew the characters were afraid, but I didn't feel afraid with them. There were also moments when I thought, if this "Society" is truly that intense, they wouldn't have gotten by with that. After the murder happens in the book (it's first shown in the prologue), it didn't seem like someone had been murdered. I kept asking my book, where's the emotion? Why aren't you making me feel this supposed fear that the characters are feeling. I guess it didn't help that the book was divided among four different points of view. I've seen that work in books, but this was not one of those. I felt like I was missing important parts of the story line. Secret Society was one of those time-filler reads where it will entertain you, but you don't have too much of an opinion about it afterwards.

Though I wasn't crazy about the book, there were certain parts that I really liked. Dolby did a great job at portraying success the way teens see it. There were clear pressures and intensities that every teen feels with a extra dose of crazy since the book takes place in the Upper East Side among private schools. I have a guilty pleasure for all things uptown New York City which is why I picked up the book in the first place. I also have a "slight" crazy for Ancient Egypt so that was a bonus for me.

I know that this was Dolby's first attempt at YA literature so I might read the next book in the series (The Trust) if I come across it really cheap somewhere, and I'm out of things to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Society.

01/05/2012 page 153